Monday 2 April 2012

#79 Book Review: Melody Burning

Melody Burning
Release Date: January 1st 2012
Author: Whitley Strieber
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Beresford doesn’t remember much about his past or how he came to live in the chutes and crawl spaces of the posh high-rise that shares his name. But when rock star and teen sensation Melody McGrath moves to an apartment on the fiftieth floor, he knows he has to be near her. Although she doesn’t realize it, Melody is threatened by more dangerous forces than her manipulative stage mom and the pressures of life in the spotlight. The owner of the glamorous building has been hiding a fatal secret within its walls, and Beresford puts all his plans at risk. Will Beresford and Melody be able to escape with their lives (and love) intact?
My review:

Cover:
The girl's white dress reflects Melody in the book. I like how she's standing over the edge, represents a scene in the book and I love the background. I love the city's light during the night. I think the girl looks a bit weird but the background helps!
3 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:

A Wild Boy and an It Girl...

So I'm just going to start this review directly instead of giving a small synopsis of the book like what I usually do in my reviews. What intrigued me to read this book at first was the summary. It sounded so interesting and made me want to read this book. Melody Burning is written from two POVs, Melody and Beresford. When I started reading, the first few pages were still okay, quite interesting but after reading the first 20 pages of the book, I was no longer quite interested to keep on reading. The story is very strange and weird. I've never read a book like this before. Sometimes I just don't understand the plot, what's happening in this book and how things are suddenly happening with no understanding of how. The story moves really fast which is probably why I don't understand the story. Although, I actually liked the premise of a rock star falling for a no one.  I love the song lyrics written in this book It's beautiful. I do enjoy the ending. It was solid and a great way to end the book.

Characters:
The characters to me are the downfall of the book. I am confused of the characters and it makes me unable to understand them. Beresford is a boy who can't remember his real name (Beresford is not his real name), he lives in the Beresford apartment, he knows that someone called Luther killed his father, he loves Melody and sleeps in small hollow places in the apartment. I could not understand how Beresford is a wild boy (like how he can't remember his name, how he ends up living in that apartment). Meanwhile, Melody is also a character I couldn't connect with. The only thing I liked about her was the songs she wrote. The lyrics were beautiful and reflects what she's feeling deep down. But, I don't like her insta-love with Beresford. When she first knows that Beresford is 'stalking' her, she really hates him but then when he comes to her bedroom in the middle of the night (which surprises me because he really acts like a stalker), she just accepts him and fall for him. Melody's mother is a too ambitious woman who only cares about herself and it's really sad to see  her relationship with Melody.

Overall:
Melody Burning is sadly not a book I enjoyed reading about. The summary promises an interesting story yet I couldn't understand the plot and the characters. Although, this book is definitely unique and different compared to all the YA books out there. This book might not have been my cup of tea but if the summary intrigued you, perhaps it's worth giving a try!

2 Forget-me-not flowers for Melody Burning
 Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!

PS: Wow, that's my first 2 stars rating in 2012! :P

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proof of Celine Awesomeness (patent pending): Everything you mentioned in your review sounds like things I'd think about this book too! If I don't like the characters or feel really lost while reading a book, chances are that I won't enjoy it as much either -- especially the insta-love bit. But I really love how the girl's name is Melody and she has a talent for music -- so cute! x)

    Still, I want to hug you for the awesome honest review, Celine! <3 I'm really sorry that this book wasn't for you, but at least it had a nice solid ending! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww no! Sucks that it didn't work for you, Celine! I also got this one for review but everything you've said has definitely dulled my excitement to read it. I absolutely hate characters that I can't relate to, especially when they fall for some kind of creepy stalker guy *shivers*

    Anyway, love your honest review! <3 Just too bad that it was your first low rating of the year! ):

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT's a shame that you didn't really like this book much. :( I'm still thinking that I might give it a go...but I'll keep your thoughts in mind when I read it. It's a shame that you weren't able to connect with the characters very well.

    But hey - if this is your first low rating of the year, hopefully that means there won't be many more? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohhh, it's a pity you didn't quite enjoy this, Celine! I've heard about the 'insta-love' in this and that definitely put me off:S I don't think I'll be reading it after all :S A non-character-driven story and a confusing plot = NO WAY. But thank you for your honest thoughts! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this book but I have to say that I'm intrigued by the cover. I just checked it out on Goodreads and the ratings for it are all over the place. It definitely seems to be a love or hate kind of book. Thanks for the helpful review, Celine! I'm sorry this wasn't better for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book for awhile now, and Im not sure if I really want to read this book after reading some reviews especially your review, it sounds interesting enough but the shallowness and holes of the plot is giving me the meh. :) But still I loved your honest review, it must be really hard for you to rate something this low especially first time. I think you're really great. I mean If it was me Id usually just let it go and wont do any review otherwise my review would be a pretty messed up rants.

    and sorry that this didnt work out for you, I hope next read would be ten times greater than this Celine <3 hugs

    ps Geez I hope I made sense up there lol. so tired from work but yeah about the Blood Song I cant wait to read it too Celine, I hope you are having fun with this book cant wait to hear what you think about it. <3

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Celine, I know this is the second review of this book I have read and you both agree this book is not a wow read. I don't like confusion and characters that are not relatable. You did a great job conveying your honest opinion and
    I appreciate that. Sometimes books that are just ok are the hardest to review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know how hard it must have been to write this, it's difficult to review a book you didn't enjoy but I think you did a great job and I won't be reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If a creepy guy came into my bedroom in the middle of the night... I'd be knocking the idiot unconscious. Not falling madly in love with him LOL. I really don't like when we have unrealistic love stories like that. And it really does not set a great example. Sorry this book was a disappointment for you, especially since the premise intrigued you so much (as it did with me!). We all know how hard it is to write reviews for books we dislike, but you've done a brilliant job, Celine! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Celine, so sorry you didn't love this... you did a brillianr job about talking about it in a balanced way, though. GREAT review. It's the books that are the MOST amazing, or the ones we really didn't like that are the hardest to review, I think.

    Ummm... I'm with Brodie. HARD OBJECT TO THE HEAD. And I'm all for love despite all odds, but come on, there needs to be a certain degree of believability. Guy doesn't know his own name, but he's alive, and can talk? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...