Thursday 12 January 2012

#44 Book Review: Frostbite



Frosbite (Vampire Academy #2)
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 327
Release date: April 10th 2008
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Owned
Format: Paperback
Summary from Goodreads:
Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose…
It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians—including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks… This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.
But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price…


My review:

Cover:
The cover of Frostbite this time features 2 characters though I'm not sure which one represents which characters. Probably the girl is Rose but in the book, Rose has dark hair and I don't know if the guy represents Dimitri or other characters. It looks quite cool and I love that the VA gate is still featured in the cover.
3 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
This might be a stereotype but you know how usually the first book is better than the sequel? Well this is so not true with Vampire Academy. I think Frosbite was even better. 

The book continues from where Vampire Academy ended. This time, Rose, Lissa and the academy are having a ski trip after the recent Strigoi attack which Rose have seen for herself. Lissa and Christian's relationship are going so well and Rose feels jealous mainly because she rarely has time to talk with Lissa and her relationship with Dimitri wasn't going as well as both of them. But during the ski trip, she encountered Adrian Ishvakov (in which I will swoon about later, :P) who is interested in her and also a Moroi. Although, even the ski trip can't escape the fact that the Strigois are still planning to attack them. 

This book is competely addictive. I was unable to stop reading and I absolutely enjoyed the fact that Rose meets her mother in this book, developed into a mature character (in which she deals with situations maturely) and that her relationship with Dimitri is starting to go well as we reach the end of the book. There were quite a lot of things happening and so, this book is filled with actions. All this hype about Frostbite because there is a certain swoon-worthy royal called Adrian certainly is WORTHED. I like his entrance in this novel, finding out about who he is and his powers. The story goes on with Rose trying to deal her feelings for Dimitri by trying to be with Mason. But towards the end of the book, the Strigoi attack happened and that was awesome because Rose proved herself that she was a true heroine and guardian (although she hasn't graduated from the Academy). I thouroughly enjoyed reading every part of the book and loving the fact that Rose and Dimitri's relationship is going so well towards the end!


Characters:
Roza. Dimka. Roza. Dimka. Adrian. Wait, how did Adrian get there? Oh no, because I am falling for him too. But aahhh, I'm going crazy here because everytime Dimka (I feel so proud now that I get to call Dimitri with his nickname which I found out in Frostbite!) calls Rose 'Roza', I want to faint. It feels like a personal nickname only he can use and it makes me want a Russian nickname of my own. Or perhaps I shall change my name to Rose so Dimitri can call me 'Roza'? LOL. 

Rose, I truly love you during this book. You have developed into such a mature and strong character. You are not 'clingy' to Dimitri, expecting him to return your feelings and I'm glad you patched up your relationship with your mother during the end of the book. But just one thing I didn't quite like was that she tried to use Mason as a replacement because she was unable to be with Dimitri and I really pitied Mason for that. 

I also love Janine Hathaway (Rose's mom). She is just like Rose and like the saying goes, like a mother like a daughter. Now, let us discuss the debut entrance of Adrian Ishvakov. He's like the 'bad' guy, opposite of Dimitri and I love his attitude. But he's more than that because he has a certain power, quite similar to Lissa but a bit more unique because he can enter people's dreams too. I wonder how he will try to vie for Rose's affection in the next 3 books. One thing I know: I want more of him! I also adore Lissa's and Christian's relationship. They always stick to each other and cared for each other, which makes them a great couple. Dimka? He's just pure awesome. I am so glad by the end of the book that he accepts his feelings for Rose and perhaps he will start a relationship with her in the next book? To summarize all these points: I love all the characters.


Overall:
A sequel that lives up to its first book. I really enjoyed reading this book as we get to read how the characters are developing from the first book and how Adrian made his debut entrance in Frostbite. I would recommend reading this series because so far, I am positive I'll enjoy the rest of the book! And you guys who keep on saying 'Wait 'till you meet Adrian!' to me, I am now saying 'Yes! I am in love with Adrian, thanks to you guys!'. But, I still love Dimitri more since I haven't read lots about Adrian though I'm looking forward to starting Shadow Kiss and read more about Adrian!
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Frostbite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...