Saturday 7 January 2012

#40 Book Review: Vampire Academy



Vampire Academy
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 332
Release date: August 16th 2007
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Owned
Format: Paperback

Summary from Goodreads:
Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever...

My review:

Cover:
The cover is actually quite interesting. I like the idea of the Academy's gate placed in the bottom of the book with the logo VA. I didn't quite liked the way the girl's eyes are looking, it feels creepy to me  but anyway, it's a pretty good cover overall.

3 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!

Story:
So many bloggers have read read this book and loved it that I felt bad for not finishing the series. I actually bought the first 3 books 2 years ago and only read the 1st book. I didn't know why but at that time, I didn't quite enjoyed it so I dropped the series. I wasn't a very much bookaholic at that time. But when Sarah @saz101 and Brodie @Eleusinian Mysteries are talking about it, I felt like I had to read it again and see what I feel like now. Plus, I couldn't even remember the whole story so I decided to give it a go. When I finished this book, I was speechless and felt guilty for not reading the whole series like ages ago. So I'd like to say a big thanks to Sarah and Brodie for making me wanting to read this book again and making me love this series!!

Vampire Academy is very different to the regular vampire novels I have ever read. Vampires are not just vampires, but they have their own terms. Like the mortal ones called Moroi or the immortal ones called Strigoi. There are also Dhampirs which are basically half human and half vampires. Before, all I know are vampires are just vampires and I don't know any other terms. This book broaden my knowledge on vampires and introduced me to a new exciting world of vampires. I enjoyed reading about Lissa and Rose's friendship, how they have a very powerful bond with each other and also other characters I've been anticipating, like Dimitri. This book is a new vampire concept for me and the story is filled with actions and romance for sure! I also never thought that vampires would have unique powers like Lissa who had the power to heal.

Characters:
Rose is such an awesome heroine. I was able to connect with her, understand her thoughts, feelings and her responsibility of protecting Lissa, her bestfriend who is also a Moroi vampire at the same time. Besides the fact that Rose is awesome, the guy she fell in love with is just HOT! After reading this book, I totally understand why Dimitri so popular. I mean, who wouldn't want him? He's a kickass, he's strong, he looks good, he has a Russian accent and he'll protect you no matter what. I also loved Lissa and Christian's relationship. It was sweet and I really enjoyed reading about them. Honestly, I was actually worried that this  book will not have plenty of romance but this is not true! I love the characters development and how as we read the novel, we get to know the secrets of the characters. The ending though, broke my heart a bit but I'm a bit at ease because there are 5 more books waiting for me to read!

Overall:
A unique and new vampire concept I definitely recommend to everyone! If you love vampire novels, you'll enjoy this book as much as I do! It's not like your average vampire novels. It's filled with new terms in the vampire world, awesome characters you'll enjoy reading and this 'package' includes the awesome Dimitri! Really loved this book so I am looking forward to reading the sequel! 

Favourite quotes:

'You beat up your dad. I mean, that's really horrible...what happened. But, wow. You really are a god.'
He blinked. 'What?'


He turned back to her, a dark smile curling his lips. 'I've never seen anything like you two. Always so worried about each other. I get her thing - some kind of weird guardian hang-up - but you're just the same.'


'No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you.'
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Vampire Academy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...