Monday 19 December 2011

#35 Book Review: The Dig

The Dig
Genre: Young Adult, Greek Mythology
Pages: 208
Published: November 7th 2011
Author: Audrey Hart
Source: Author for an Honest Review
Format: E-book

Summary from Goodreads:
Zoe Calder has always been an outsider. Stashed away in boarding schools since her parents died, Zoe buries herself in the study of ancient worlds. Her greatest thrill is spending her summers with her archeologist aunt and uncle on digs around the world. And one day, while investigating a newly unearthed temple in Crete, Zoe discovers a luminous artifact that transports her to ancient Greece.

As Zoe quickly learns, the Olympian Gods are real, living people—humans with mysterious powers… Powers that Zoe quickly realizes she has come to possess, as well. However, when the people of ancient Greece mistake Zoe for an Olympian, the Gods must restore the balance of the ancient world… No matter what.

Zoe is forced to play a confusing and dangerous game as Hera rallies the gods against her—all except for Zeus, the beautiful, winged young god who risks everything to save her.

Out of time and out of her element, teenager Zoe Calder finds herself in ancient Greece, battling against the power of the Olympians and the vengeance of a scorned goddess—all for the strange and mysterious boy she has come to love.


My review:

Cover:

I adore the cover. It's cute and represents the story. The little wings on the feet is CUTE!! I love how the way the title and the picture is set on the cover!
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
Indiana Jones meets Percy Jackson with a sweet romance! When Zoe first arrived in Ancient Greece, the book progressed quite slowly, with Zoe meeting some new characters and trying to adapt with her new situation. I almost didn't enjoy it since I really wanted Zeus to appear and read the romance! (I know, I know, I'm so silly for wanting the romance barely in the beginning already!) There's a character who Zoe called Blondie and I didn't expect he was going to be the main character. I am surprised. After Zoe meets with Zeus, I am completely into this book. I loved meeting the Greek gods and godesses as young adults (about seventeen years old). Even though the gods are remake by making them younger, unlike the Greek myths illustration we've seen with Zeus and his beard, it is still true to the mythology like how Zeus likes to disguise as a regular mortal and he had a jealous wife or 'girlfriend', Hera who became an antagonist in this novel. I also enjoyed reading about the use of modern technology back in ancient times such as how Zoe uses her iPhone for compass to help her escape the labyrinth. It's an interesting blend of modern and ancient times. Zoe uses phrases like FB, Twitter in the book and even singing Umbrella by Rihanna song with Zeus! The book is filled with adventures and I really enjoyed it after Zoe meets Zeus!

Characters:
I love every single characters in this book, particularly Zoe and Zeus of course! I love their relationship, they are so cute together and their powers. Their story of when they first met was simply funny and interesting! Zeus being young compared to how we originally know the Greek myths make me like him a lot. He seemed innocent, kind and loving. Zoe is also a very funny character who also has powers like the gods. Reading about their relationship makes me really enjoy the book!


Overall:
Indiana Jones meets Percy Jackson with a sweet romance! I really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the sequel and the ending was great. If you love Greek Mythology, you'll love this book as much as I do!
5 Forget-me-not flowers for The Dig!
Favourite Quotes:
  • “Can I have my hand back, Zoe?” 
  • “I’m here, Zoe. Forever.”
  • Love is real and it changes people, if they let it.
  • “I’m Zoe’s boyfriend. That’s who I am.”
  • We’re free. Our love set us free, because we let it, because we grabbed it,
    because love is more powerful than anything, even the gods.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...