Monday 14 November 2011

#24 Book Review: Along for the Ride

Along for the Ride
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 424
Published: February 4th 2010
Author: Sarah Dessen

Summary from Goodreads:

It’s been so long since Auden slept at night. Ever since her parents’ divorce—or since the fighting started. Now she has the chance to spend a carefree summer with her dad and his new family in the charming beach town where they live.

A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.


My review:
Along for the Ride was my third Dessen's books but the first one I reviewed here in my blog. My first Dessens's book was The Truth about Forever which I simply enjoyed a lot and Just Listen was my second Dessen's books. So far, I really enjoyed her stories and I would love to be able to read all her books. I enjoyed reading Along for the Ride as much as I enjoyed reading Just Listen and The Truth about Forever. I also would love to thank Mary @ Anxirium to recommend me reading this book!

Along for the Ride is the story of Auden, who went to visit his dad and his new wife, Heidi for her summer holiday. Her mom and dad was divorced and his dad married Heidi and she gave birth to a baby recently. Auden was a girl who studied almost the whole time, trying to be the perfect daughter for her mom and missed out on all the fun teenagers should be having. When she got a job in Heidi's boutique, she met Eli who was carefree, and was different to all the guys she met in her life. As the time they spent together for Auden o experience 'teenage life' and for Eli to deal with his friend's death, the more Auden finds herself falling for him.


I'm making a different type of review this time. I'll list things I love from this book and things I did not like from this book, things like that.

3 Things I love from Along for the Ride:
1. Eli (My ultimate crush from Dessen's book is still Wes, but Eli comes second now and Owen comes the third! I love the way he is not talkative, a quiet type who listens rather than trying to talk the whole time)
2. Storyplot (Quest to get Auden have teenager's life, Eli trying to deal with best friend's death and to try and ride a bike again, Auden's dad relationship with Heidi, Auden's mom, Auden's brother!)
3. Characters appearing from Dessen's other books. (I only noticed Jason Talbot since I've read The Truth about Forever and I really don't like him. Okay, boys can be nerdy but if they dump girls everytime just so they can attend a science fair or whatever, they suck. I also love the part where he described his ex-girlfriend 'dumped' him for a guy with a tattoo or something = WES!)


1 Thing I did not like from Along for the Ride:
1. In the beginning, I was really shocked that Auden 'hooked up' with Jake, Eli's brother. I was like: 'What the?' I really hate when the main character is like so innocent that they hooked up with someone 'accidentaly' and never want to interact with the person they hooked up with again. I really don't like that part, I never even thought it was going to happen. But anyways, luckily the rest of the book did not have this kind of thing again or I would have been really upset!


Overall: Light read, very enjoyable to read, as usual with Dessen's books. My next Dessen's book to read is What Happened to Goodbye and I look forward to read it! 


4 Forget-me-not flowers for Along for the Ride!
As always, thank you so much for taking your time to read the review. Any comments is very appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...