Sunday 11 March 2012

#69 Book Review: Switched

Switched (Trylle Trilogy #1)
Release Date: January 5th 2012
Author: Amanda Hocking
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads


Summary from Goodreads:
What if your entire world was built on a lie?

Wendy Everly knew she was different the day her mother tried to kill her and accused her of having been switched at birth. Although certain she’s not the monster her mother claims she is – she does feel that she doesn’t quite fit in...

She’s bored and frustrated by her small town life – and then there’s the secret that she can’t tell anyone. Her mysterious ability – she can influence people’s decisions, without knowing how, or why...

When the intense and darkly handsome newcomer Finn suddenly turns up at her bedroom window one night – her world is turned upside down. He holds the key to her past, the answers to her strange powers and is the doorway to a place she never imagined could exist. Förening, the home of the Trylle.

Finally everything makes sense. Among the Trylle, Wendy is not just different, but special. But what marks her out as chosen for greatness in this world also places her in grave danger. With everything around her changing, Finn is the only person she can trust. But dark forces are conspiring – not only to separate them, but to see the downfall everything that Wendy cares about.

The fate of Förening rests in Wendy’s hands, and the decisions she and Finn make could change all their lives forever...

My review:

Cover:
I love the butterflies in the picture and how the girl looks like she's running away from something. The cover also gives this mysterious feeling. Although I love the US covers of the series more, I think it's still lovely!
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
 
What if your entire world was built on a lie?

When Wendy was 6 years old, her mother tried to kill her on her birthday. Her mother claimed that Wendy was not her child and therefore tried to kill her. Now she is locked up in an mental health asylum. Wendy always knew that she was different than the others and Finn, the school's newcomer convinced her that she is more than just who she is. Can Wendy believe him?

I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, especially after seeing the gorgeous US cover of the book. At first, I didn't know that this book was originally self-published but because it was such a bestseller, finally a publisher picked up the book and published it. I haven't heard of Amanda Hocking before but after reading her book, I know why this was such a bestseller. Written from Wendy's POV, Switched brings you a tale of  Trylle (which means Trolls) and the world of Förening. I enjoyed reading this book. I've certainly never read a book about trolls but the trolls in Switched are very interesting because they are like humans, only with powers. There weren't many actions happening in the book because Switched is mostly about Wendy's adaptation to her new life but it was still enjoyable. The ending was very interesting and makes me want to read Torn as soon as possible! 

Characters:
Wendy's life completely changed after knowing the truth about her life. She deals with the truth well although sometimes she can be persistent and stubborn. Sometimes I find Wendy quite annoying and blunt, which makes it quite hard for me to connect with her but she's still enjoyable to read. Her relationship with Finn, Tove, Rhys is really interesting to read about. Finn is quite an awesome character who helps Wendy adapt with her new life. I am particularly really intersted in Elora, Wendy's 'real' mother because she has secrets that I want to find out more about.  

Overall:
Amanda Hocking weaves an interesting story of the Trylle kingdom through Switched. Switched is a unique paranormal-themed book and you'll find trolls are not as ugly as you think they are in nursery rhymes! This book is recommended to those who love reading a new paranormal concept in books!

4 Forget-me-not flowers for Switched!
Thank you Pan Macmillan Australia for the review copy!

 Check out the US book trailer!

And the UK book trailer:
 

13 comments:

  1. I LOVE this cover too! I've almost bought it a few times just for the cover along but I have heard really mixed reviews of Amanda's books so I'm a bit torn.

    Your review has me thinking I should go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES me too! I nearly bought the book after seeing the pretty US cover! Yes, there are mixed reviews about Amanda's books and hahaha, love it when you say you're a bit TORN because that's the second title of the book!

      Try and have a go for it! It might just be your cup of tea! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh, Celine, this sounds AMAZING!
    I nearly bought this is an eBook before it was picked up by the publisher, and it was only $2.99! I'm kind of kicking myself I didn't, now.

    SO glad you liked it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm not mistaken, I think Dolly magazine is giving a free copy of Switched if you buy the magazine this month? Isn't it AWESOME? :P

      I haven't actually heard of Amanda Hocking before until her books was published and I didn't know that her e-books was so popular and best-selling even before it was published!

      Haha, don't kick yourself. I haven't actually bought any ebooks from anywhere since I don't enjoy reading ebooks but if I do, I might have bought Amanda Hocking's first book, My Blood Approves which I am so interested in!

      Thank you Sarah! ♥

      Delete
    2. You are NOT mistaken! I saw it! It's a tiny copy. Same cover, but a small one... and I mmmd, and uuuuhd, and decided I didn't really WANT Dolly magazine, so :D :D :D

      You know what? I always prefer to buy physical copies, but I read faster with eBooks, and I kind of like it? It's weird. I like to READ eBooks, but I like to OWN physical copies?

      >___<

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, I think I fall in love with the UK cover a little more every time I see it! It's so gorgeous in a completely different way from the US covers! :)

    And I know exactly what you mean! I had no clue about this book being self-published before falling in love with the cover and idea for this book either, but after reading it, I could tell why it was so popular! Sometimes I disagreed with Wendy's reasoning like you did, but I LOVED her and the other characters anyways (especially Finn)!

    Amazing review, Celine! I can't wait to read your thoughts on Torn too! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay!! You finished Switched! Will you be reading Torn too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review Celine!! I've been wanting/meaning to read this for a loooong time and I'm so thrilled you loved it. Makes me more eager to read it and discover the story for myself! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen the Uk trailer...it's a lot different. I like it. Thanks for sharing:D
    Wonderful review!!! I think Torn is my fave in the series!!

    Love to find out what you think of Torn:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you! It was quite difficult to connect with her eventually. I just couldn't develop a connection with her until Torn. But, dude, TORN is much better. And then Ascend, WOW. Loved! So I can't wait until you get to the rest of the series.

    "What if your entire world was built on a lie?"

    What a perfect opener!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed this one, Celine! It was my first 'troll' read aswell and far from the giant green beasts I would have expected :D Tove, especially, fascinated me and I can't wait to learn more about him, Rhys, Finn and Elora! I've been in a book slump this past week, but I think I'll continue on with Torn to see what happens next, especially since the ending of Switched leaves us wanting mooooore. Fab review, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the cover! It's so pretty. Especially the butterflies against the black-and-white background <3 And the blurb has me intrigued! I definitely want to check this out, even if the first book is not very action-packed. Just for the premise, if not anything else. Awesome review, Celine! I want to read the series more than ever xD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...