Monday 30 January 2012

#53 Book Review: Legend

Legend
Release Date: November 29th 2011
Author: Marie Lu
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
More Info: Goodreads


Summary from Goodreads:
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias' death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.

My review:

Cover:
The cover is so simple yet I really love it. I think the symbol is the Republic's logo and the gold fonts are so gorgeous. I adore the simplicity, the silver background and this cover gives off a sense of power and strength. It totally rocks!

5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
  
Story:
Will rebelling make you a LEGEND? 

June, Republic's 15 year old prodigy girl and Day, Republic's most wanted criminal have no reasons to cross path until Metias, June's brother was murdered and Day was the prime suspect. As June tries to avenge his brother's death, she finds out that the country she is serving is hiding their own secrets, secrets that involves her whole family and the country itself. What will June do when she finds out?

This book has hooked me from the very first page. My eyes are literally glued to the pages of this book and I can't stop reading! This book is told from 2 different POVs, Day's and June's. I am so glad to be able to read from both perspectives because both were such awesome characters and I'd want to know what's going on in their head. The story of this book itself was plain awesome. Legend introduced me to a new dystopian world and I can actually feel like I'm living inside this world Marie has created. Her vivid descriptions of the Republic, the slums and the hidden secrets of the Rebuplic's government made this book truly unforgettable. It was beautifully written. Not only is this book is loaded with actions, swoon-worthy scenes and hidden secrets, this is also a story of family. How family is always there for you and how they will do anything to save you. Legend also has quite an unpredictable plot, which makes me thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Characters:
The characters were just awesome. They were so well written and I loved every single one of them. June Iparis, can you please share your awesome-ness to me? I'm lacking of awesome-ness here and I adore you SO MUCH. June is a prodigy. Why? She scored a perfect score in the Republic's trial. She has a very kind brother who loved her dearly and when he died, I totally understand her feeling for revenge. I can connect to her easily from the beginning and I love her ability of analyzing someone or a crime scene and her hacking skills. She is a kick-ass! Not to forget the amazing Day. His love for his family, his kindness and strength makes him a true character I loved reading about. His relationship with June was so sweet and heart-warming. I love their bond. The fact that they were both the opposites of each other but very talented makes them perfect for each other. The characters Marie have created felt so real and I love going through their journeys with them.

Overall:
Legend is a story of power, rebellion, strength, to fight for what you believe and who you love. It is a book with characters you'll love and a story that introduces you to a brand new dystopian world. I have known recently that this book's movie right has been sold and all I can say is WE WANT THAT MOVIE NOW! This is a book I highly recommend. Truly unforgettable. I'll rebel with the Republics if it means getting the sequel earlier!

5 Forget-me-not flowers for Legend!
Favourite quotes:

"Her sadness makes her impossibly beautiful, like snow blanketing a barren landscape."

 "'Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.' He looks toward the railway car's open door, where streaks of dark water blanket the world. 'You try to walk in the light.'"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...