Wednesday 18 January 2012

#49 Book Review: On a Dark Wing

On a Dark Wing

Release Date: December 27th 2011
Author: Jordan Dane
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: NetGalley & Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback


Summary from Goodreads:
The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn't prepared for. And Death would be my willing teacher.
Five years ago, Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her "lucky" break came at the expense of her mother's life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.
Now she's the target of Death's ravens and an innocent boy's life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey's secret crush—starts to climb Alaska's Denali, the Angel of Death stalks him because of her.
And Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets.

My review:

Cover:
On a Dark Wing's cover is simple yet I love it. I really love the boy's black wings in the cover and how there are also ravens in the background.
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
On a Dark Wing tells the story of Abbey, a girl who cheated Death and has a big crush on Nate Holden, a guy who is about to climb Mount Denali. What she never thought was that she was going to encounter 'Death' once more, while her crush is in a great danger.

This book is told from different points of view. First person from Abbey and Third person for Nate, Tanner, Nate's mom and Nate's dad. The shifting of POV was quite regular but the book is mainly told from Abbey's POV. First half of the book didn't quite hooked me. I felt a bit confused with story plot and I didn't quite like Abbey. Although, when Nate first arrived in Mount Denali, I felt thrilled with excitement of imagining myself climbing this beautiful mountain with snow all around me. The beauty of the landscape made me start to enjoy the book. When Abbey finally meets 'Death', the story was getting interesting and so, the last half of the book was really enjoyable for me as things finally come to place.

Characters:
When I first read about Abbey, I didn't quite like her. I can understand that she is feeling sad because she survived the car accident instead of her mother, but she was rude to her father. When her father took her to a trip they take each year, she didn't want to go but then she decided to go (first thing in the morning, so early) because she had a problem that night when her friends posted a photo in the web and 'bullied' her. She needed to escape and forced her dad to go so early. I also think that Abbey is too obsessed with Nate. She always tries to keep up with latest news about Nate's climbing expeditions but never tried to talk with him. Nate doesn't even know she exist. But when 'Death' talks to Abbey in the form of Nate, Abbey thought that it was actually Nate and when 'Nate' kissed her, she just kissed him back without feeling suspicious (like why is he there, why did he even kiss her when he never knew her?) She only felt suspicious a little but always came when 'Nate' asked her to meet in the woods. When Death revealed himself, I felt sad for him. Death's endless job of collecting people's souls when they are dead and carry them within him makes him yearned to be loved. He also wanted to feel what it's like to be human. His character was what made this book interesting and enjoyable to me. I also love Tanner, Abbey's bestfriend. He was always prepared to help her, so good with computers and really understands her. I expected Abbey and Nate to end up together in the end of the book but Tanner became a love interest I did not expect. I love the idea that a-bestfriend-who-is-a-guy can also be more than just your friend! Nate was an enjoyable character to read too. I love the way he loves his family and friends. While at the beginning I didn't quite like Abbey, the ending made me like her because she finally fixed her problem with her dad and she chose to be with Tanner and thought of Nate as her friend instead of a crush she used to obsess about.

Overall:
Jordan Dane's On a Dark Wing brings you a story of life and 'Death', set in one of the most beautiful places. It started out slow but develops into a very enjoyable read! Jordan Dane's description brings you vivid images of Alaska as you read the book and imagine living in this place with interesting characters you don't want to miss!

A big thank you to Harlequin Australia and Harlequin (via NetGalley) for the review copy!

4 Forget-me-not flowers for On a Dark Wing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...