Wednesday 7 December 2011

#32 Book Review: Crossed

Crossed
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Pages: 367
Published: November 1st 2011
Author: Ally Condie
Source: Bought

Summary from Goodreads:
The hotly awaited second book in the dystopian Matched trilogy

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


My review:

Cover:
Absolute loved it! I love to touch the surface of my copy since it's glossy and gorgeous. Reflects the book and if I'm not mistaken, the blue colour represents the blue tablets in the book!
5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
I am very tortured reading this book. Why? The book's progress is really slow. Really slow. [Note the emphasizing on the word 'really'] I wanted to enjoy the book, since I enjoyed Matched. I wanted to read more about Cassia & Ky. I want to explain more about why I think the book's progress is really slow but then I will spoil many things from the book which I don't want to do at all. Basically, Cassia is still trying to find Ky and Ky is also trying to find Cassia in this book. This struggle and meeting with other new characters happen for half of the book. It was so slow. Then, they found each other. I screamed, hooray! Finally! Then, something happens again, like another challenge for this couple and the ending was making me so annoyed. I love that we get to read more about Cassia & Ky, their love growing for each other but that's not enough to make me love this book as much as I loved Matched. I wanted to see more progress with the story, like the Rebels and the Society but almost the whole book talks about the struggles of Cassia & Ky, Cassia & Xander and their life back in the Society. There is also new topics about the Rebellion (called the Rising) and it has more adventures because it's set in the outer province with lots of canyons and dry places. 


One thing I absolute loved was Condie decided to write in 2 POV: Cassia & Ky. Since reading Matched, I was very curious about what's going on in Ky's head since he's such a quiet and mysterious boy. In Crossed, I finally learned more about Ky and his feelings for the rebellion, his family and Cassia. 

As usual, Condie's writing is really beautiful. The poems in this book and the way she describes everything happening is really beautiful. If only I could enjoy the story as much as her writing style, I would have been so stuck in this book!


Characters:
The development of the characters is quite good. Cassia becomes stronger and Ky becomes stronger too. What I don't really understand is Xander. He is not featured much in the book, only appeared for a while in the beginning but Cassia described that he changed. I do feel that he changed so I wanted to read more about him in this book but that's it. That was the only part where Xander actually talked to Cassia and then there's nothing else. It's all about Cassia, Ky and other characters. I really enjoyed reading Ky's POV in this book and understanding him more. I'm quite annoyed with Cassia because she can be stubborn and confused at the same time. Almost like she's stuck in a love triangle. There are other new characters introduced in this book too and I enjoyed reading about them.


Overall: 
It will satisfy those who are very anticipating for more of Cassia & Ky but the story's progress throughout the book is really slow. I didn't quite enjoyed it as Matched though I still recommend those who have read Matched to read this book!


3 Forget-me-not flowers for Crossed!
Meanwhile, check out the book trailer first before starting the book, like I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...