Wednesday 15 February 2012

#57 Book Review: Hunting Lila

Hunting Lila
Release Date: August 4th 2011
Author: Sarah Alderson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads

Summary from Goodreads:
17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. Or thereabouts.After a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. Trying to uncover the truth of why her mother was killed, and the real remit of The Unit, Lila becomes a pawn in a dangerous game. Struggling to keep her secrets in a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them...

My review:


Cover:
I adore this cover. I like the mysterious feel in the cover, as if the girl is running away from something. I love the colours in the cover such as the girl's blue dress and the red heels plus the picture of the door opening to somewhere. 
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:

How far are you willing to go to keep your secrets safe?

Lila is more than just an ordinary girl. She can move things with her mind. Well, that's the only thing that makes her stand out from 'ordinary', because like any other girls, Lila is in love with someone. After a mugging incident, Lila flew from London to California to meet her brother, Jack and her one and only love, Alex. As she stays with them, she unravels the truth behind their work, the truth behind her mother's death and that she is not the only one with powers. Will Lila ever reveal her secrets to the ones she loves?

Wow, this book goes beyond my expectations. I've read many great reviews on this book and how all the Aussie bloggers and readers loved and rave it. It made me really excited to read it and when I finally got the chance, it completely blew me away. Hunting Lila is written from Lila's POV and it succeeded up to every single expectations I had and it was even more than what I expected. I love the storyplot, the characters and just EVERYTHING! The book was filled with actions and swoon-worthy scenes that will leave you gripping on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, waiting for THAT MOMENT to come. And by THAT MOMENT, I mean the 'kiss', the climax, you know the drill!

Characters:
Oh this is my favourite part to talk about because I ADORE THE CHARACTERS. I do have to say that at the beginning, I felt quite annoyed with Lila and I felt that she was a bit too 'obsessed' with Alex but as I get deeper into the book, I was able to connect easily with Lila and understand her because she has loved him for 17 years, give or take and that is a LONG time. She never even confessed to Alex, yet. I think all the characters are very well-written, particularly Alex. Oh my word, you have stolen my breath, Alex. I love you to bits and pieces and will do FOREVER. He is the perfect image of a gentleman (but not quite in a Mr. Darcy way) because he can fight. He rides a motorbike. Enough said. I love Jack, the loving big brother and even Suki, the cute Japanese girl! The characters are very well described that I can imagine them as if they are actually alive and are somewhere around me!

Overall:
Hunting Lila will leave you gripping on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, waiting for THAT MOMENT to come. If you are looking for a fast-paced book filled with actions, swoon-worthy scenes and characters you'll fall in love so hard you can't stop smiling, then this book is for you! What an incredible debut! I can't wait for Losing Lila, coming out on 2nd August this year!

5 Forget-me-not flowers for Hunting Lila!
Thank you to Simon & Schuster Australia for the review copy!

Favourite quote:
“When you came down the stairs, and fell into me, that was the moment.”

1 comment:

  1. I have heard many amazing things about this book but I have to get my hands on it before I can read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...