Thursday 16 February 2012

#58 Book Review: Fracture



Fracture
Release Date: January 5th 2012
Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Bloomsbury Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads

Summary from Goodreads:
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

My review:


Cover:
I love the snowy background and the model in the cover! It really reflects the story of the book and gives the cold and icy feeling about the book. The idea of a reflection of the girl in the cover is also really interesting!

4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:

Anything can happen in eleven minutes…


Delaney should have died when she fell inside the icy waters of Falcon’s lake. But she is alive. It was more than just a miracle. Ever since her heart started beating again, nothing was ever the same. She feels a pull towards death and when she meets Troy, a guy who is 'like' her, will she ever understand what is happening with her and how she escaped ‘death’?


Fracture is a story of pain, death, love and life. It is written in Delaney’s POV, telling her story from the moment she fell, she woke and how she copes with her life then on. I enjoyed reading this story although the plot didn’t quite hooked me. I think it’s well-written, in a way that can make me feel a twinge of pain and sadness as I read the book. It is thought provoking and made me imagine what it's like to be Delaney and living her life after the incident. Even though I find the story plot quite confusing, and that there are some things that can still be further explained, it was an enjoyable book!

Characters:
Although Delaney was a well-written character and makes me understand what she’s going through, her feelings about the incident, how she copes with her life now that she is alive, I wasn’t quite able to connect with her. I felt quite annoyed with Delaney because she just didn’t mind being with Troy or Decker and I can’t understand which one she loves or she didn’t like, until the end. If I had to choose Decker or Troy, I would have chosen Decker because Troy is kind of creepy and is 'stalker-ish', always lurking in the shadows and just always there. I do feel sympathy towards Troy because even though his actions were 'evil', he did it for good. 

Decker is a sweet guy who cares for Delaney but I think he’s quite a jerk because he goes out with someone else although he’s clearly in love with Delaney. One thing I loved about Decker was that he was always there when Delaney needed him. He didn't hesitate and directly came when Delaney called him when she needed help, and is always there when Delaney was in the hospital. I also didn’t quite like Delaney’s parents because they are not supportive of their own daughter, even forcing her to take sleeping pills everyday in hopes of returning their daughter back to normal. They didn’t believe her throughout the book, which is really sad because parents or family are supposed to be the ones who believe you when nobody else does.

Overall:

Fracture is a story of pain, love, death and life. I expected great things about this book but it didn’t quite live up to my expectations. Although, this is still a great debut novel and an enjoyable read! Fracture will make you understand how life can drastically change in a snap or in such a short time...

4 Forget-me-not flowers for Fracture!
Thank you to Bloomsbury Australia for the review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...