Monday 21 November 2011

#25 Book Review: The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Pages: 404
Published: October 18th 2011
Author: Maggie Stiefvater

Summary from Goodreads:
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.



My review:

Cover: I adore the cover. It's so simple yet reflects the whole story. The font for the title of the book is also very nice! The colour of the background (brown) gives a beautiful contrast to the fonts and the picture.

5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story: I don't think I can write many for this review. The problem is, it's too beautiful it makes my heart ache. Beautiful in what? I guess beautiful in writing and everything. Everything about this book is just beautiful. I won't even bother summarizing the story of this book because the summary from Goodreads pretty much sums it all and you'll just have to read it to find out the details!

The moment I began the first chapter, I'm already stuck and glued to this book. I can't let it go. I want to stop, but I just can't. This fantasy world Stiefvater created through this book amazes me. I love horses. I had the experience riding one, but a water horse? A dangerous horse that can kill you? Well I don't know what that one's like! Stiefvater introduces you to the beauty of Capall Uisce (Pronounced CAPple ISHka) which is also terrifying at the same time. These water horses have won me from the first page. I adore these horses, and the way Stiefvater describes them, it makes them feel so alive that they're almost like humans. The details of how the characters took care of their horses makes me able to imagine that I'm now riding a horse, taking care of it as I read the book. The races with this horse and the storyplot is such a rare beauty. It is not surprising for me, since I've read Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls series and Lament which of course contains Stiefvater's beautiful writing. Not only does the storyplot contains these beautiful water horses, there are also stories of the lives of the different characters in this book. As I read this book, my heart twinges a lot and it aches me. Is it because the story's sad? No. Not at all. I mean there are some parts where it's quite sad but I don't know how many times I have to repeat this but the words Stiefvater used is so beautiful and her writing is just wow.

Characters: I would love to be Puck Connolly's bestfriend or even sister. She is a wonderful character who is brave and loves her horse, Dove so much. She has to join the races for several reasons, including winning the money but then she meets Sean Kendrick, the returning champion of The Scorpio Races. He had won 4 tims in a row. Now comes the part where I am truly, truly impressed by Stiefvater's writing. Sean Kendrick is a character written so perfectly. He's a quiet boy with not much words, but once he does say something, it's something powerful and beautiful at the same time. The way he loves Thisby (the land where the story is set in), the Capall Uisce especially Corr (the horse he used to win The Scorpio Races which does not belong to him) and his love for the sea makes me love him a lot. My heart 'shivers' when Stiefvater describes him whispering to the horse's ears, it sounds so beautiful. He just whispers these words to the horses and they would understand him. He is the best person to take care of the dangerous Capall Uisce. His connection with them is so strong and he understands them like no one else can. Oh, and the romance between him and Puck. I love it. It's slow building, not too much as in falling in love at first sight, but the love they have for the horses and their land is what brings them together. The ending truly breaks my heart, it's so sad and I feel a huge urge to hug Sean. His love for Corr is undeniable and no one can truly understand Corr better than him. I love reading all the characters in this book particularly Sean because we all love quiet, mysterious boys with incredible talents, don't we? ;)

Overall: Beautiful. Heart-aching. Water Horses have never been so beautiful to me after reading this book. This is recommended for everyone. I have to admit, I was worried that I might not enjoy this book a lot because many reviewers said that romance was not the focus. This book is already beautiful as it is but when there is romantic scenes between Puck and Sean, it makes this book even better. A must-read which you'll never forget and regret. Also, this book is a stand alone. If you're bored with reading books with sequels and dying to read the sequels already, then this book is for you. The ending is just great and you'll be pleased! In fact, I did write a lot for this review, isn't it? :)

5 Forget-me-not flowers for The Scorpio Races
Favourite Quotes:
“I say, 'I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick.'
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, 'It's late for that, Puck.”

“He is slow, and the sea sings to us both, but he returns to me.”

“Shhhhhh, shhhhhh, says the sea, but I don't believe her.”

1 comment:

  1. A great novel that is definitely worth a read. I would recommend this to somebody in search of the next Twilight and Hunger Games or just wants something that will slowly blow their mind bit by bit. Let the reading begin!
    HOA Management Raleigh

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...