Friday 6 April 2012

Double Review: The Summer of Shambles and The Autumn Palace

The Summer of Shambles (Ondine #1)
Release Date: April 5th 2010
Author: Ebony McKenna
Publisher: Egmont Books
Source: Author for an Honest Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
This is a brilliantly witty story with a furry tail ending. One girl. One boy. One spell to be broken. Ondine de Groot is a normal fifteen-year-old who lives with her family in the European country of Brugel. She has a pet ferret called Shambles. But Shambles is no ordinary ferret...He's Hamish McPhee, a boy cursed by a witch. A witch who happens to be related to Ondine. When Shambles turns back into Hamish temporarily, Ondine knows that she has to help him break the spell. He is the most gorgeous boy she has ever met and her one true love! He just can't remain a ferret forever. Can he?
The Autumn Palace (Ondine #2)
Release Date: February 7th 2011
Author: Ebony McKenna
Publisher: Egmont Books
Source: Author for an Honest Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Amazon & The Book Depository
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
One boy, one girl, one plot to be foiled! Hamish the gorgeous man (and part time ferret) has a new job with the Duke as a spy in his Autumn Palace. So Ondine goes with him. She imagines a hugely romantic escapade together that involves lots of kissing. What she hadn't imagined was having to do endless laundry, go to school and keep Hamish the man a secret. All the while trying to find out who is plotting to kill the Duke. And if that weren't bad enough, it seems that Hamish is more interested in getting the Duke's attention than hers. Plus he's always in ferret form. Things can't go on like this! Can Ondine foil the would-be assassin, save the Duke and get her man back in gorgeous human form? It's going to take a little bit of magic, a lot of stolen kisses and some ferreting around...  
My review:


Covers:
Wow, both covers are so pretty! I love the girl in the cover and also the patterns surrounding the cover. The colours are also really beautiful and suitable such as the purple and pink colours to give a gorgeous effect! So adorable. Both cover gives off this fantasy feeling that makes me really want to read it since I first saw the cover!
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for the covers!
Story:


Ondine's life is about to be changed...by a ferret.


Wow, both books were such a fun read! I absolutely enjoyed reading both of them. The first book explores Ondine's meeting with Shambles the Ferret who is actually a boy who is cursed by a witch. She tries to break the curse while taking care of her family's hotel. The story is really exciting and fun. It's hilarious too! So many times I laughed when there were really funny scenes between Ondine and her family, Ondine and Shambles (a.k.a Hamish) and it makes me really enjoy reading both books. Not only that, there are romantic scenes in this book which makes it so adorable!


To make this book even more special and fun, there are FOOTNOTES in this book. Yep, you heard me right. FOOTNOTES. Like in Essays. And the footnotes in this book are SO HILARIOUS sometimes. LOVE IT!


Characters:
I LOVE ONDINE and HAMISH! They are so adorable, cute and their relationship makes me feel all gooey inside. Hamish is so sweet and he has SCOTTISH accent. Ondine is such a fun character to read about. I love her a lot in both books. I also love her family. Her father is totally an awesome dad. Hey, I want a father like Ondine's father too! And her mum, super awesome. The characters are so fun to read about!


Overall:
Need a fun, light read with sweet and heart-melting romance? Then The Summer of Shambles and The Autumn Palace is the perfect book for you! With fun and hilarious characters, you'll come to love Ferrets more than you know! YES, FERRETS ARE AWESOME.
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for The Summer of Shambles and The Autumn Palace!
 Thank you Ebony for the review copies!

5 comments:

  1. "Need a fun, light read with sweet and heart-melting romance?" Yes, I do!! That's exactly the kind of book I've been looking for -- it's almost like you wrote this double review for me, Celine :') Lately, I've been searching around for books with the sweetest romances and sweetest boys, so this book has the best of both worlds! Plus, I loooooove that Hamish is Scottish. Who doesn't love an awesome Scottish accents? x)

    (I could probably say that for every accent LOL!)

    Amazing double review, Celine! Funny how one review can equal a two-book increase in my TBR pile, right? ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL okay, so you had me at 'ferret' - aww, poor boy! But this sounds like such a FUN book! Light-hearted with a dash of magic and some heart-melting romance? Uhhh, sign me up, because Celine has just put another damn book on my TBR! You seem to be good at that :P

    Love your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could possibly resist a boy with a Scotish accent? I'm not sure I'd want to. I don't know why, but this sounds like it's more middle grade than young adult, which isn't really my thing, but otherwise I think it must be loads of fun. A ferret boy is something original, definitely.
    Great review, Celine! I agree about the covers, too, they are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh I hardly see these books around and I have them sitting on my shelf un-read! Maybe I should get to them soon?? Lol Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness... these sound like SO MUCH FUN! Handsome boys who are ferrets? Magic? CASTLES? SARAH IS SOLD.

    And oh my goodness... footnotes. I LOVE footnotes. Terry Pratchett has CRAZY footnotes, and they're HILARIOUS.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...