Monday 16 January 2012

#47 Book Review: Spirit Bound

 
 
 
 
 
Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy #5)
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 489
Release date: May 18th 2010
Author: Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Owned
Format: Paperback
 
Summary from Goodreads:
Rose Hathaway's life will never be the same.

The recent attack on St. Vladimir's Academy devastated the entire Moroi world. Many are dead. And, for the few victims carried off by Strigoi, their fates are even worse. A rare tattoo now adorns Rose's neck, a mark that says she's killed far too many Strigoi to count. But only one victim matters . . . Dimitri Belikov. Rose must now choose one of two very different paths: honoring her life's vow to protect Lissa—her best friend and the last surviving Dragomir princess—or, dropping out of the Academy to strike out on her own and hunt down the man she loves. She'll have to go to the ends of the earth to find Dimitri and keep the promise he begged her to make. But the question is, when the time comes, will he want to be saved?

Now, with everything at stake—and worlds away from St. Vladimir's and her unguarded, vulnerable, and newly rebellious best friend—can Rose find the strength to destroy Dimitri? Or, will she sacrifice herself for a chance at eternal love?

My review:

Cover:

I like the pose of the models in the cover. They look nice together! And again, I do love the VA gate still being featured in each book in the series.

3 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
[Warning: Please do not read this review if you haven’t read Blood Promise]
The minute I started reading this book, I had to know 2 things immediately. First, what comes of Dimitri and second, what is going to happen with Rose and Adrian. My second thought was answered in the beginning, almost directly because Rose and Adrian ends up dating. Dimitri? Well he’s also in the beginning of the book already but he wrote this letter that is so creepy and feels stalker-ish.  The story really hooked me from the beginning until the end. I had so much questions about what is going to happen with the characters and how their lives will be from now on. This book introduces with Rose taking her final exam to graduate as a guardian.  The story develops as she tries to help Viktor Dashkov escape from prison so she can meet his half-brother, Robert, and get access to the information she desperately needed a confirmation of. The information was regarding whether or not a Strigoi can be healed and returned back to their original state. The plot was quite predictable because I certainly expected that this would mean Dimitri will heal back and become a Dhampir again! I really loved this book because although it still had actions and conflicts, it focuses a bit more on the development of the characters and their life ahead in the future. One thing for sure, this book really had me in the ending!

Characters:
Dimitri, you are my number one priority to discuss here. How can you act like that after all the troubles Rose have been through to save you?! I understand that you don’t want to hurt her and you feel guilty but please, why won’t you see her when you desperately wanted to see her too ? This is the frustration I had when I read about Dimitri after he was not a Strigoi anymore. I wanted them to have a romantic get together thing but I can’t believe Dimitri pushed Rose away. I felt like shaking his shoulders to wake him up and to get a grip of himself. Although, my heart really breaks when Dimitri cried in Lissa’s lap after being healed and turned back to a Dhampir once more. I can actually feel his pain, sadness and I got teary! But I forgive you, Dimitri! Because during the end, you did the right thing!
Rose, well, you made lots of ruckus in the book but you never disappoint as a heroine. You are truly a kick-ass and I ‘worship’ you , lol. I loved reading about her, Lissa, Christian and all other characters. I also really loved Adrian. He was so understanding and never forced Rose to do things she didn’t want. While
Rose has hurt him several times (asking him to help her so Dimitri can turn back to a Dhampir, still harbouring feelings for him), he never hurt her and merely asked for some space.

Wow, I don’t think I ever liked a book so much that I never hate any of the characters. Even the villains. I think Strigois are cool, especially if they are like the Strigoi Dimitri. LOL. This is to say that I loved how the characters developed in this book, particularly in how their future is going to be and how they have become stronger. 

Overall:
Spirit Bound brings us one step closer. One step closer to the final of the Vampire Academy series. This book explores the development of the characters, how they’ve grown and become stronger since the first time we meet them in the series and to be prepared to part with this unforgettable series.  
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Spirit Bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...