Friday 4 November 2011

My Nineteenth book review: Saving Francesca

Saving Francesca
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 252
Published: April 23rd 2007
Author: Melina Marchetta

Summary from Goodreads:
Francesca battles her mother, Mia, constantly over what's best for her. All Francesca wants is her old friends and her old school, but instead Mia sends her to St. Sebastian's, an all-boys' school that has just opened its doors to girls. Now Francesca's surrounded by hundreds of boys, with only a few other girls for company. All of them weirdos, or worse.

Then one day, Mia is too depressed to get out of bed. One day turns into months, and as her family begins to fall apart, Francesca realizes that without her mother's high spirits, she hardly knows who she is. But she doesn't yet realize that she's more like Mia than she thinks. With a little unlikely help from St. Sebastian's, she just might be able to save her family, her friends, and - especially- herself.


My review:
My first Melina Marchetta book was On the Jellicoe Road. Wow, it's awesome. That would be my alltime favourite Marchetta book. I loved Saving Francesca but I still loved On the Jellicoe Road. Don't get me wrong here, they're both awesome but On the Jellicoe Road was more touching, the romance was sweeter, the story is very unique and it's just beautiful. With Saving Francesca, you get to experience a school life of what used to be an all boys school which Francesca is unfortunately enrolled in and how to deal with it.

Let's begin with a little summary of what the story's about. Francesca is enrolled in a school called St. Sebastian which used to be an all boy's school. There are only a few girls including Francesca and lots lots lots of boys. I mean LOTS! So she's always surrounded with boys who are very gross sometimes like Thomas Mackee who is very good at burping and boys who farts! Not only does Francesca have troubles in school, but she's also having troubles in her home! Her mother is falling apart, getting depressed and is not like her again. Francesca tries to deal with her troubles, but she did not expect to fall for the captain of her house, Will Trombal. That's basically it!

The thing about this book is it's so funny. I keep on laughing and smiling like crazy because I'm still a student and I can understand what it's like to be disturbed by naughty gross boys and a school life! Thomas Mackee is just one prankster! But, he has a hidden talent! He's very good at music, he can never stop listening to music, even in detentions! And if you guys know, Thomas Mackee is the main character in The Piper's Son which is set 5 years later after Saving Francesca! I also liked Francesca's friends: Tara, Justine, Siobhan, particularly Tara who seems to like Thomas! There's also this funny part where Thomas calls them all Bitch Spice, Butch Spice, Slutty Spice or Stupid Spice and they have to figure out which term is for which girl. I want you guys to find this quote, read it & guess which is which before you find out the answers! If you do read this review, please leave me a comment about your guesses and I'll read them! We must not forget aboutr Will Trombal too! He's a pretty good guy, a very smart guy who unexpectedly falls for Francesca although he had a girlfriend. He also kissed her when he's drunk in a party. Do you find this pattern similar to a guy? (Yeah, I think it's pretty similar with St. Clair a bit, although I still love St. Clair so much better!) Will was quite a sweet character who loved Francesca but his dedication to their relationship can be really proved through The Piper's Son! The way Francesca struggles to keep her brother, Luca from falling apart, relationship with her father and her mother made me twinge. I can also feel the same way about my family sometimes and I understand what it's like for Francesca to want to make things right and her family back together again. Clearly, this is a very realistic book of an average girl's life in a school and her home. One enjoyable read which is funny to make things interesting too!

Overall: Hillarious and realistic! Really enjoyed reading this one. As usual, Marchetta never stops to amuse me. All her books are just so beautifully written. I can say I'm very proud to live in Aussie and to be able to read her books!!! Highly recommended to read it before The Piper's Son. Why? Because characters from that book appears in The Piper's Son 5 years later although it's not a must.
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Saving Francesca!
Once again, if you can guess who Thomas is referring to for this quote: "Bitch Spice, Butch Spice, Slutty Spice or Stupid Spice" which I read over and over again because it was so funny, leave a comment please!" So each girl would have one title either Bitch Spice, Butch Spice, Slutty Spice or Stupid Spice! 


If you're wondering about The Piper's Son, I think I'll post a review on that book tomorrow so please come back again if you're really interested in reading the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...