Tuesday 29 November 2011

#28 Book Review: Going Too Far

Going Too Far
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 245
Published: March 17th 2009
Source: Borrowed from Library

Summary from Goodreads:

HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO?
All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back.
John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge -- and over....

My review:

Cover:
I love the cover of both Forget You and Going Too Far. Simple and reflecting the story of the book. The girl with the piercing should be Meg and the other face should represent John, I think. But I love it!
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
Remember how I reviewed Forget You which I absolutely loved? Well I also loved this one a lot. It is pure awesome. I am so mesmerized by Echols's writing and how I never read a story like this before! I think this review will be short because I really don't have anything else to say besides I. LOVE. IT

The story is narrated from the POV of Meg, a girl who is rebellious and basically is the bad girl. She was captured when she visits the forbidden railroad tracks in the town by Officer John After. John wanted to give Meg a lesson and Meg ends up having to follow John in his police car, doing his job. But, this relationship grows in something more, making things go too far.

The story was just wow. I did not expect so many things happening in this book. First, from the idea of a relationship with a 'good boy' and a 'bad girl'. So rare isn't it? Not only that, the guy being an officer? Just wow. The relationship is slowly building, no sappy romance and the story develops into something serious too. It's not just a mere romance story. It brings themes of sickness and death. The story flows really well and I kept on reading, non stop until I can't believe I end up in the last page. I love the ending too. I did not expect it. I thought it was going to be a sad ending but luckily, a happy ending!

Characters:
I love the characters. They are just so realistic. Sometimes though, I can't imagine John being an officer and a 19 year old guy at the same time. He can be so different. Although, he is awesome. He has a talent in arts but because of a certain reason (won't spoil for those who haven't read), he decided to stay in the town and become an officer. Meg is just a rebellious teenager who tried to enjoy life as much as possible but in fact, she had a hidden truth. She had leukimia, which is why she dies her hair blue, pink and all sorts of colour to try and fight back her sickness. I was able to connect with all the characters and understand them.

Overall:
A good boy + a bad girl = awesome combination. It's written very well with a great story plot and characters you can connect to. Recommended to 13+ because it carries mature themes. Echols's writing is truly realistic and great! This book is a must read! Who knows if you committ one little tiny crime, you might meet an officer like John After? ;)
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Going Too Far!
Note:
I just love the book size. It's quite small and light. It's so comfortable to carry with everywhere! I keep on carrying this book, even to the *clears throat* toilet. LOL. But anyway, it's handy to have a book this size because it makes it easier for you to carry! I also have Love Story next in my TBR so I can't wait to read this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...