Wednesday 9 November 2011

#22 Book Review: Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Forget You
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 292
Published: July 20th 2010
Author: Jennifer Echols

Summary from Goodreads:
Why can't you choose what you forget . . . and what you remember?

There’s a lot Zoey would like to forget. Like how her father has knocked up his twenty-four- year old girlfriend. Like Zoey’s fear that the whole town will find out about her mom’s nervous breakdown. Like darkly handsome bad boy Doug taunting her at school. Feeling like her life is about to become a complete mess, Zoey fights back the only way she knows how, using her famous attention to detail to make sure she’s the perfect daughter, the perfect student, and the perfect girlfriend to ultra-popular football player Brandon.

But then Zoey is in a car crash, and the next day there’s one thing she can’t remember at all—the entire night before. Did she go parking with Brandon, like she planned? And if so, why does it seem like Brandon is avoiding her? And why is Doug—of all people— suddenly acting as if something significant happened between the two of them?

Zoey dimly remembers Doug pulling her from the wreck, but he keeps referring to what happened that night as if it was more, and it terrifies Zoey to admit how much is a blank to her.

Controlled, meticulous Zoey is quickly losing her grip on the all-important details of her life—a life that seems strangely empty of Brandon, and strangely full of Doug.


My review:
I'll keep my review simple and short. I've read Jennifer Echols's The Boy Next Door & Endless Summer books which I didn't quite enjoyed. Both books were bound in a book called Endless Summer and it was my first Echols's novel and frankly, I have to say I am quite dissapointed. But I still decided to give her other books a shot because I've seen that many bloggers and readers really enjoyed Echols's Going Too Far which I have yet to read. I've got Forget You in my TBR so I decided to read it and boy do I love it. 


Basically, Forget You is the story of Zoey, a popular rich girl who is in love with her bestfriend, Brandon who is a popular football player. But Zoey's life is not so good. Her father knocked up his 24 year old girlfriend, her mother is in a mental institution and there's this guy who keeps on taunting her. After watching Brandon's football game, she had a car wreck and somehow can't remember what happened after watching Brandon's football game. The last thing she remembered was talking to Doug, thinking about him and Brandon. Doug saved her from the wreck and since then, he acted as if something happened between him and Zoey. Zoey's relationship with Brandon is getting worse and she is also falling for Doug. She is desperate to find out what happened that night, with Brandon and Doug, but she is scared to admit that she lost her memory of that night to other people.


It's been a while since I read a book with a guy like Doug. He's just Uh-Mazing. How? He is half-Asian, he got green eyes, black hair and sometimes wears glasses. He is also very sweet and understanding, but at the same time, he's a bad boy too. He's been to the juvie once. He is in love with Zoey since fifth grade. He keeps on asking Zoey how she feels since the car wreck and since he got a broken leg, he keeps on using crutches but tries hard to be with Zoey. One thing I'm really annoyed was when Zoey keeps on saying 'Brandon's my boyfriend' to Doug when she actually likes him too. She's just trying to convince herself that she should not be doing this but she keeps on sayig it loud many times to Doug and of course it hurts his feelings. Doug is sweet in a way that when Zoey keeps on saying that she should be with Brandon bla bla bla, he decided to stay away and giving her space. The story is really flowing, and the romance is very sweet. It's also set in a beach setting and Doug is a very good swimmer. This book is kind of like a summer read but of course, you don't have to read it in summer. As I read the book, I am also really desperate to know what happened between Zoey and Doug that night and when I found out, I was like 'Oh wow, did this really happen?' 'I can't believe this'. You will be really curious to find out what happened that night which Zoey can't remember. I truly enjoyed this one and I can't wait to read Echols's other novels!


Overall: Sweet + Bad Boy = Unforgettable. Yep, I don't think I can ever forget this book. The title is very simple but really captures the whole story. Really enjoyed it and I can't stop reading. Stayed up late just to finish this book. The story is really flowing and it's both a light and heavy read. I give this book:


5 Forget-me-not flowers for Forget You!
Note: When I first read the title, one song popped up in my head which is Forget You by Cee-Lo Green! I loved that song although they both have different context of the term 'Forget You'.

As always, thank you so much for taking your time to read the review. Any comments is very appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...