Thursday 13 October 2011

My fifteenth book review: Silence

Silence
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 438
Published: October 4th 2011
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick

Summary from Goodreads:
The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.

My review:
I'm almost going to stay in silence, but I just loved the Hush, Hush series so much I can't stay in silence! This book starts off directly after Crescendo, and the first chapter begins of a flashback 3 months ago in Coldwater, Maine. 

The first chapter totally breaks my heart. If you guys remember from Crescendo, Nora was taken by Hank in the end and the first chapter is about Patch and Hank. They were discussing some things and Patch (a.k.a Jev) bargained to protect Nora by giving his wings to Hank. I felt so touched by this scene. Patch has become such a developed character throughout the series. First, he was just a bad boy who fell in love with Nora. In Silence, he truly loves Nora and would do anything for her. He still has that bad boy attitude and his 'black clothing' trademark changed a little. In Crescendo, we also find out that Patch's real name is Jev. When I first found out about this, I was quite shocked about the name. I might have expected another name than this as I tried to say it out loud to see what it sounds like this. I didn't quite like it but in Silence, Jev is often used to call Patch and I think it actually sounds good! We also find out more about Patch in Silence.

The first 1/3 - 1/2 of the book was a little repetition of what happened in Crescendo and Hush, Hush. A little spoiler again: Nora lost her memory. So, she has to find out about what happens and it was quite annoying because I really want her to just get back to Patch and be happy. More problems are happening and while I found Nora changed in this book (the way she thinks, the way she sees things), Patch has become an even better character! The fight between the fallen angels and Nephilim continues until the end, and I couldn't guess the ending of the book. I almost thought Becca Fitzpatrick was going to make another cliffhanger like Crescendo, but it was not a cliffhanger. It still makes you dying to read the fourth book. When I read the first 1/2 of the book, it was all about Nora, Hank, Vee, Marcie and her mom. There are some Patch scenes but it wasn't much. I really wanted to read about Nora and Patch. So, I had to flick through the pages to catch glimpse of the word Patch or Jev until I made sure there's one, I continued reading again. I almost opened the ending because the book progressed a little slow in the beginning and it made me frustrated a little bit. Luckily, my hands decided not to open the ending because it would ruin everything. Everytime there are Patch and Nora scenes, I sighed. It was so sweet and romantic. Patch is truly dedicated to Nora and I really enjoyed that part of him. 


Now, the cover. I just loved it. I loved all the Hush, Hush series cover. I think Drew Doyon makes a good model for Patch. What made me even happier was the book comes with a bonus scene of Patch's POV of Hush, Hush. It was printed in black paper, and the font was in white. Reading from Patch's POV makes me understand how he sees Nora when he tries to 'spy' her before. It was awesome!


Overall: Loved it. What more can I say? Read Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick in Silence! If you loved the 2 books before, then you are guaranteed to love this one. Even if it progressed slowly in the beginning, things get better and so is Patch and Nora! 

5 Forget-me-not flowers for Silence!
Note: I can't wait for the 4th book. I thought Silence was going to end the Hush, Hush series but Becca Fitzpatrick decided to add another 4th book for her fans who kept asking her and because she really wanted to write about Chesvan (I also want to read about Chesvan too! I find it so interesting!). Of course, we readers want more of Patch and Nora! There's also an upcoming graphic novel of Hush, Hush!

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Makes me want to get started on this series :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...