Saturday, 1 June 2013

#204 Book Review: Siege and Storm [ARC]

Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) [ARC]
Release Date: 26 June 2013
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher: Hachette Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy:  Fishpond | Booktopia
More Info: Goodreads

Summary:
Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
Cover:
My ARC copy is a bound copy of Shadow and Bone and Siege and Storm so it does not have Siege and Storm's cover but I love this cover more than the US cover of the first book! Just look at that dragon forming the title and wrapping itself around that building. Love it!

Story:

The world of Ravka is about to experience the darkness as it never had before...

If you remember reading my review of Shadow and Bone last year (or known as The Gathering Dark in the UK/AUS), I loved it and adored it to pieces. Reading the book was like stepping into a fairytale of a battle between the dark and light and a new epic fantasy world that I wish I could live in. Now the sequel, is an entire different matter. It still has that beauty Shadow and Bone has, but the sequel is not about introducing the world Leigh Bardugo has created. It's exploring this world, revealing more secrets and darkness that cloaks Ravka, Alina, Mal and even the beloved Darkling.

Siege and Storm continues directly from the ending of Shadow and Bone. Mal and Alina are on the run from Darkling but of course, Darkling finds them. But this time, Darkling has evolved. His powers are terrifyingly strong, befalling darkness in Ravka. What I loved most about this book is how Bardugo slowly unravels the mysteries behind her characters and her world. It is so fascinating and unique. Her descriptions of when Alina and Darkling use their powers are so detailed and beautiful. Now I'm sure you are curious about the romance as well and I feel like I'm a betrayer because I was Team Darkling in the first book but now, I am torn between Mal and Darkling!

Characters:
There are new characters introduced in this book and while they are really enjoyable to read about, all I want to discuss about is Mal, Alina and Darkling! Can you blame me? The thing is these 3 characters are so intertwined and complex sometimes. Well before I start, I should probably briefly introduce a new character called Sturmhond. He is loveable, charming and also often underestimated although he is a genius!

I don't even know where to begin actually. Mal and Alina's relationship certainly dominates this book although we do have glimpses of scenes between Alina and Darkling alone. It pains me to think that Alina and Darkling will never have the kind of relationship Mal and Alina has because Darkling is just too...dark now. Mal, on the other hand, proved to be a loyal, fierce companion who truly loves Alina. Their relationship gets rocky at times but Alina, Mal and Darkling are certainly not in some sort of typical love triangle. Each have their own stories that make up the entire book and that is what makes scenes between Alina and Mal, Alina and Darkling so beautiful.

Overall:
Siege and Storm is the magnificent sequel to Shadow and Bone, with its riveting story and the beloved characters Alina, Mal and Darkling. The enchanting world Bardugo has created is further explored in the sequel and although I love Shadow and Bone slightly more than its sequel, fans of the first book will definitely love Siege and Storm!
5 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Siege and Storm!
Thank you Hachette Australia for the review copy!

11 comments:

  1. Yay! so glad that you enjoyed this, Celine! To me, it was even better than the first book. I love Mal so I was happy that he played a bigger role in this book. ;) Brilliant review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Celine! I've yet to read the first book...but I'm really excited to start reading the series! <3 I hope I like both books the same way you did!

    Precious @ Fragments of Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Celine! I loved it and Mal's growth was especially well-done. Great review, dear!(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I can't wait to read this! I loved the Darkling in book one too, but I did like Mal as well. I think he and Alina were cute together whereas the Darkling was more this unattainable evil-but-not-really-evil tormented and suffering mystery :P. Great review, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so glad you liked this book! It seems like Im the only personleft that hasnt read it! haha
    Dont worry, I plan to soon!!

    Great review

    Thanks,
    Theresa Jones

    dont forget to stop by my blog to enter my $100 Blogoversary Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems so good, Celine! I'm glad you liked it as much as the first one, I hope I do too. :D *sigh* Mal is just too sweet and awesome, isn't he?! A lot of people have gone over to the Darkling's side, but I'm happy you haven't. While I like the Darkling as a character, he just does not bode well as a love interest for Alina. :/ Fabulous review, Celine! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this sounds interesting! I'm not sure why but I haven't read this series. Thanks for the great review!

    Ann@Blogging E-books

    ReplyDelete
  8. ✔ It’s in reality a nice and helpful piece of info. You may try this site. Literary Publicist

    ReplyDelete
  9. ♣This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. visit this site. social media

    ReplyDelete
  10. VINTI TRANS va ofera servicii de: transport marfa, transport marfa bucuresti, Transport adr, transport marfa periculoasa
    la cele mai avantajoase preturi. Nu ezita si viziteaza site-ul nostru www.transportmarfarutier.ro

    Firma Servicii SEO si Web design, va ofera servicii de
    Optimizare SEO si creare Site de prezentare s-au
    Magazin online, SEO. Pentru cei interesati facem link/banner exchange.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...