Wednesday 12 December 2012

#176 Book Review: Scent of Magic [ARC]

Scent of Magic [ARC]
Release Date: 1st January 2013
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: Harlequin Teen Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy:  Fishpond | Booktopia
More Info: Goodreads
Summary:
Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again
Cover:
This cover does not match the original Australian version of Touch of Power's cover but the covers are re-designed and I love the new look! The flower reminds me of the Lilys in the book and I love the contrast between the dark background and the firey green colour.

Story:

To die or to be living-dead?

Scent of Magic picks up directly from Touch of Power's ending. Avry luckily survived after healing Prince Ryne but the most crucial matter unresolved is Tohon and his living-dead army. Avry continues her journey as the only healer in the 15 realms, separated from her love to continue the fight against Tohon.

After loving Touch of Power earlier this year, I was worried whether the sequel would live up to my expectations. I was anxious whether or not Scent of Magic will have the 'second book syndrome' but luckily, Scent of Magic was just as amazing as Touch of Power. What I simply adored and loved with no doubt in this book is Maria V. Snyder's captivating and exciting tale. The adventures Avry undergoes are always full of excitement and even though they can be troublesome, I can't help but enjoy it. This book is packed with actions and I can never have enough. The romance is not the main focus but I really enjoyed it, particularly towards the ending. However, I was surprised that the book ends in a cliffhanger! Oh how I need the third book now!

Characters:
Avry is as usual, such a kind-hearted and awesome heroine. She never stops trying to help everyone and continuously shows her determination to defeat Tohon. There is not a single moment where I feel annoyed towards Avry. Instead, I have strong sense of adoration for Avry. She is separated from Kerrick but it does not mean that she becomes weak. The interesting feature of Scent of Magic is how we still get to read Kerrick's story. There are two points of view in this book now, one Avry's and the other, Kerrick's. I also enjoyed reading about Kerrick's men such as Flea, Quain and even Tohon, the evil and crazy evil antagonist!

Overall:
Loved Touch of Power? Anxious for the sequel? Scent of Magic is the thrilling and adventurous second book in the Healer series. As Avry continues her journey to defeat Tohon, Maria's writing brings you an exciting fantasy book which fans of the first book will love. If you've read Maria's Study series before, why not check out the Healer series?
5 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Scent of Magic!
Thank you Harlequin Teen Australia for the review copy!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to hear this lived up to the first book. I only recently finished it as I started it months ago but haven't been prioritising it. I liked it though and can't wait for this. :) The cover here reminds me a little of the artwork used for Jennifer Armentrout's Covenant series.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this book provided a decent follow up to Touch of Power Celine. I'm always anxious in picking up the next book in the series especially when I've loved the first book so much. This sounds like a fascinating series that I may just have to try! Fabulous review Celine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, this sounds amazing! I've heard so many mixed reviews of it and I haven't enjoyed anything of Snyder's except The Poison Trilogy, so I've been skeptical about this series, but I think I might give it a shot after all. Fantastic review, Celine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaay! I'm so glad to hear that the sequel was just as awesome as the first book! I am SO excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I love Maria V Snyder, she has yet to disappoint me. Scent of Magic was every bit as good as the first book, and like you I love the characters!

    Fab review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased to see you enjoy this. I'm reading it now and I'm loving the Kerrick POV. I love him! Great review hun x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you liked it, and I agree I really love the new covers, especially because now they will look so matching and pretty next to my Study series books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...