Tuesday 9 October 2012

#159 Book Review: Crewel

Crewel
Release Date: October 1st 2012
Author: Gennifer Albin
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy: Fishpond | Booktopia
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Incapable. Awkward. Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.
Cover:
Strange and kind of creepy. I really don't like the girl's stare in the cover. She looks more like a doll and I don't know if the cover is meant to give off this sense of creepiness and awkwardness but I definitely prefer the US cover.

Story:

What if you have the ability to weave time?

Crewel has got to be one of the most unique novels I've read so far. The concept behind the book is fascinating and truly interesting. Imagine if you have the ability to weave time? Imagine if you have the ability to weave different things? This is the world of Crewel.

This book combines the genres of dystopian and a little bit of fantasy. Gennifer Albin introduces you to a world where 16 year old females, if discovered to have the ability to weave through a test, are moved to live in luxury under the supervision of the Guild. The concept of weaving is what I think covers the fantasy genre in this book because it's so surreal, like you're living in a fantasy world although in this case, you're not. It does take time to actually grasp the concept behind the book but once you do get it, it's actually impressive! Although, I have to say that the story plot is not quite as unique as the concept. It's quite predictable for a dystopian book (where the main character decides to rebel after oppression) and the romance is not very enjoyable for me. There is what seems like a love triangle although it's complicated and I'm not sure who the main character actually loves. However, the concept of Spinster (people with ability to weave) are very intriguing that it covers up my little problems with the book.

Characters:
Adelice is a strong-willed and great character. There are times when I find it quite difficult to relate to her but her ability to weave time and matter without loom is truly fascinating and impressive. She is sometimes quite unexpected and I like that about her. There's also Erik and Jost, the love interests although Adelice leans more to Jost. Erik's cool, he's not that awesome for me but Jost is definitely suitable for Adelice. I like his character and sometimes I feel sad for him since he's a valet, unlike Erik who has a higher position. We also have the Creweler, Loricel, the most powerful female in the Guild, Enora (Adelice's mentor) and Cormac Patton (Guild Ambassador). I really hate Cormac. He's such an arrogant guy who thinks that he deserves to do anything he wants because he has power. But overall, the characters are all enjoyable to read about!

Overall:
Can you imagine having the ability to weave time and matter? Crewel introduces you to a new dystopian world with a creative and fascinating concept behind the story. Even though this book seems like quite a typical dystopian, the highly intriguing concept of Spinsters and the world of Crewel itself overshadows my problems with the book. If you love dystopian with a touch of something magical and fascinating, then this is the book for you!
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Crewel!
Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!

13 comments:

  1. I am LOVING the sound of this one, Celine! The concept sounds AMAZING, and honestly, I'm kind of loving hearing that not EVERYTHING was perfect, because inwas getting unrealistic expectations :P

    So agree with you on the cover, and it was actually Brodie that pointed it out, but have you noticed the girl on the cover is the same one onthe Australian cover of Speechless? I like her so much more on Speechless!

    Wonderful review, lovely! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY agree about the concept - I LOVE IT. The ability to weave time and.... well, it sounds sort of like fate? They're altering a persons life? SO FASCINATING. It's unfortunate this falls into a similar predictability as other YA dystopians, but I'm a sucker for falling head over heels with most of them, so I'm hoping Crewel still wows me. While you had a few issues, I am so happy that this was still enjoyable. FANTASTIC review, Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crewel really sounds interesting! Fantasy and scifi combined? Vount me in! Though the romance part didn't live up to expectations, I'm still glad you found this novel enjoyable. It just means that there's more to it than romance which is a big YAY!!!

    Great review, Celine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this one and really enjoyed it as well Celine! I was glad the love triangle wasn't too traingle-y and Jost was the clear favorite by the end. The world was brilliant wasn't it? I loved spending time in this world, it sometimes made my head hurt if I thought about it too much, but it I loved that about it:) Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review, Celine! I loved the concept of this one, but unfortunately the overall story didn't work out very well for me but I'm glad to see you enjoyed it, dear! Perhaps you'll convince me to pick up the sequel after all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing review, Celine! I felt the same way about this book. Wasn't the concept just insanely creative? It boggled my mind - in a good way! :) Oh and I prefer the US cover too, I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed this one, Celine. It sounds interesting and I've been reading lots of great reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Glad to hear you enjoyed this, Celine x) I'm a bit wary of the love-triangle but the concept itself sounds sooooo amazing that I don't think I'll be able to pass this up! I think I'm already on Team Jost though just because of his name haha! :D And I agree about the cover, the ANZ one kind of scares me :S

    FANTASTIC review, Celine! C:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huuhhhh. I still don't understand how one weaves time with matter but it's definitely something that piqued my interest. I was a bit disheartened at the mention of love triangle but I'm glad that she's leaning more onto one of them and I hope it stays that way till the end. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds awesome! I have to admit that I prefer the US cover, not really a fan of covers with faces on them, aha. xD

    Great review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well... I DO love dystopians, and anything with a touch of magic so this DOES sound like the book for me.
    I agree about the cover, not my favorite, and now I must google the US cover to compare the two.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only read the first 15% of this (I'll continue soon, though) and I truly enjoyed the writing. I can't wait to learn more about the world, Adelice and weaving time and matter. The latter is so confusing to me now, I hope it won't stay that way.
    Lovely review as usual, my darling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AHHHH, how fascinating! I REALLY like this concept of weavers and all that jazz. I'm also adoring dystopians right now and this being with touches of fantasies just calls to my heart! <3

    Errgh, love triangles. Those are NEVER my fave. My heart usually ends up taking some battering (and not the good kind either...) and I HATE THAT. So sad it's not the best in this novel, but since I'm really digging the idea of this book, I'm definitely going to get to this faster :D It's just sitting on my shelf collecting dust, EEEK. XD

    Wonderful review, hun <3 <3 :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...