Sunday 12 August 2012

#137 Book Review: The Probability of Miracles

The Probability of Miracles
Release Date: July 5th 2012
Author: Wendy Wunder
Publisher: Penguin Australia
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy:  Fishpond | Booktopia | Dymocks
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Cammpbell doesn't believe in miracles. She's spent the last five years in and out of hospitals, so she can be forgiven if she's a little sceptical.

But Campbell's mother and sister won't give up on her, and they've heard rumours of a place in Maine where magical things happen: fish raining from the sky, purple dandelions, everlasting sunsents. A place named Promise. Yes, really.

Campbell may be cynical, but she still has hope. And so they head to Promise for a Summer by the sea, where Cam finally learns to believe in true love, in herself and maybe even in miracles.
Cover:
SO CUTE! Gosh, I LOVE THE COVER. Although the girl does not quite represent Campbell, I love the title's font, the flying fishes and the pink flamingos! 

Story:

Welcome to Promise, a place where miracles exist! 


The Probability of Miracles is a sweet and surprisingly, hilarious read! When I first heard of the book, I knew it was about a girl with cancer and I was a little worried if this was going to be a sad and heart-breaking read. In fact, it was not! Even though there are sad bits in the book, the funny and cute story overcoats the sad bits, creating a beautiful and fluffy read!


I knew I had to read this book when I read the summary. Miracles? Isn't this interesting? I never realised that we all somehow often try to find miracles. But the question is: do miracles exist? And this is what Cam is about to find out.


The story is written from Cam's POV. I love the way she narrates the story. Wendy Wunder's writing is fantastic. I like how she came up with an idea of a place where miracles can happen! The book made me laugh, smile and also teary sometimes. Even though I felt that there was something missing in this book, I still enjoyed it!


Characters:
Cam, Cam, Cam, I LOVE YOU! I seriously adore you to bits, from your flamingo list to all the hilarious things you say. So, Cam decides to make a list of things to do before 'she dies' but instead of naming it the 'bucket list', her friend, Lily, tells her to name if flamingo list! Isn't it AWESOME? Even though Cam has cancer, I like how she still has enthusiasm within her. I completely understand how hard it must have been for her to try and keep up with her mother and sister's 'strange' and sometimes 'crazy' ideas to heal her sickness!


Asher, Asher, Asher! You are so adorable and sweet. So, when Cam and Asher first met, it was really interesting, because Cam told Asher that she wanted to adopt a lobster. Yep, and it's called Homer! I love his growing relationship with Cam. He is always there to help Cam and miraculously appears all the time! 

I also really enjoyed reading about Cam's mom, Alicia (who I find really hilarious and funny!), her sister, Perry (who likes unicorns), her stepfather, Izanagi (who makes wonderful Japanese food) and also Lily, Cam's best friend! I think all the characters are really great!


Overall:
Do you believe in miracles? Have you searched for miracles before? The Probability of Miracles is a wonderful book about hope, miracles and life. Despite carrying a heavy issue about cancer, Wendy Wunder manages to deliver a hilarious, fun and beautiful book at the same time! Now, I must take off and find this place called Promise because I'm in dire need of some miracles right now!
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for The Probability of Miracles!
Thank you Penguin Australia for the review copy!

 Check out the book trailer below!

22 comments:

  1. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the title was "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight". Yeah, not much connection except for the probability thing. =))

    I've never been enticed by cancer books (well, except for "The Fault in Our Stars" but that's because it's JOHN GREEN) since they make me scared for my own health. But this looks like a fun read :D

    Great review, Celine :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, The Probability of Miracles looks great so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! This cover's very cutesy, my favorite is the US paperback as it's cover is really simply yet captivating. I love it's white background, orange/pink colour which bursts off the page and the feather design. Cover rant chat over! The characters sound great, you've got me really excited to meet them. Great review :) P.S - Nice trailer! It's very well done; I love it's simplicty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review Celine, I've had my eye on this book for a while now and I even bought it as soon as it was released, but just haven't had the chance to pick it up yet. But your lovely review has convinced me to give it a chance sooner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perry likes unicorns? WE'RE GONNA BE BEST FRIENDS. Well, maybe. I still have theories about unicorn-zombie hybrids in the apocalypse... ANYWHO.

    Celine! This sounds SO good! I often associate cancer-related books with a box of tissues and a splintered heart. And while those are usually incredible reads, I like that this is hilarious and full of hope and all that bright stuff to balance the darkness of the illness. You have completely sold me on this - fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so many good things about this book. Can't wait to read it! I'm glad to hear that it's not too much of a tear-jerker. I thought it totally would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fantastic! I'm always a little wary of stories that feature cancer, but I'm glad there was a light and fluffy tone to this book. I really love this cover too. Great review as always, Celine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, this sounds like a very lovely story - I might have to give it a chance in the future, too, even though I rarely read cancer books. Thanks for sharing!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover IS gorgeous...WOW!!!! And YAY Cam and Asher sound like fabulous characters! I haven't heard too much about this one but it sounds really interesting. Awesome review Celine!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review Celine!!!! You definitely convinced me to read it!!!!! Cam, Asher, Lily, etc all sounds like amazing characters!!!! I love the name Flamingo list! I'm glad this book still shows the sad sides of cancer but is a mostly light, enjoyable read.
    The cover is beautiful, that font design is amazing! The illustrator is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome review. my fav cover is uk version. i hope to read this soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book a lot. It speaks perfection! When I first picked it up I wasn't sure simply because it was cancer related, but I eventually read it and loved it. It was such a lovely story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you enjoyed this Celine. I don't think I could pick it up though because of the subject. Also, I'm afraid of how it ends. Wonderful review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like such a wonderful book, Cel! I love the sound of Cam and Asher as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, this sounds like such an adorable book! Which is kind of weird to say when it's a cancer book but Cam seems like a great character. Lovely review, C!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how is it you always have the sweettest cover? I love this one, I agree. I didn't know so a big thank you for the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww, this sounds so sweet, and your review was lovely as well, Celine! <3 Usually cancer in a book always adds on a ton of depressing-ness, but wow...I love the sound of enthusiastic Cam! Loved your characters section XD A special place where miracles happen *o* Kyaaaa!!! <3333 Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, Celine! I just fall in love with your gushing review! <3 I want that place called Promise too, because we all need small miracles in our life, right? :') I love that Cam is a cheerful, awesometastic heroine, especially since she has all the rights to become sulky and sad! I really want to read this book right now after reading this review! <3

    Such a sweet, adorable review, Celine! <3 So glad you enjoyed this book! x)

    PS: LOOOOVE the new header! So beautiful, hun! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like you, I had no idea this was actually funny! I love that you enjoyed Cam and Asher so much, you totally made me want to read this,and no one has before.
    And I agree with Hilda, the header is gorgeous!
    Lovely review as always, Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely review, Celine, as always. :) Wow, I didn't know that a book involving cancer could potentially be a light, hilarious, engrossing read! Maybe I should check this out then, being a lover of YA contemporary myself. :) I am so, so thrilled that you enjoyed this. :) The characters sound wonderful as well! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention- I adore the new header, Celine!

      Delete
  20. The cover is very pretty indeed! I love the bright and happy feeling it gives me, even when the story handles a hard subject. The characters in this book sound amazing, so thanks for sharing this. I'm going to put it on my list! Wonderful review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, wow. I never thought this was a hilarious book. I saw this on goodreads but the synopsis didn't appeal to me. I thought it was going to be like The Fault in Our Stars so I didn't even consider reading it. But now, omg I sooo want to read this now! I lol'd for a while when I read about the lobster. I can only imagine how cute and hilarious this is going to be when I read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Celine!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...