Sunday 8 July 2012

#125 Book Review: Team Human

Team Human
Release Date: July 1st 2012
Author: Justine Larbalestier | Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Source: Publisher for Review
Format: Paperback
Where to Buy:  Fishpond | Booktopia | Dymocks
More Info: Goodreads
Summary from Goodreads:
Mel and Cathy and Anna have passed vampires on the street, and sat near them in cinemas, but they don’t know any. Vampires stick to their own kind, and Mel and her friends hang out with other humans—until a vampire boy in a bizarre sun-proof suit shows up at school and captures Cathy’s heart.

Mel is horrified. Can she convince Cathy that life with a vampire is no life at all? Should she? And then all her assumptions about vampires are turned on their head when she meets Kit, a boy who makes her laugh—a boy with a very unusual family history.

Will Mel’s staunch anti-vampire stance jeopardise her closest friendships? And where does Kit fit in? In the end, who will choose... Team Human?
Cover:
Love it! I love how the models each represent a character in the book. The Asian girl in the cover represents Mel, the 'pale' guy is Francis the Vampire and the other girl is probably Cathy, Mel's best friend!

Story:

Team Vampire or…..Team Human?

Welcome to New Whitby, a beautiful city where humans co-exist with vampires. Vampires are cool, humans are cool but vampires live in an area called Shade and humans don't mingle there. So, when an old-fashioned GORGEOUS vampire called Francis shows up at Mel's high school and completely captures Cathy's heart, Mel knows that she must try and prevent Cathy from dating Francis. After all, friends don't let friends date vampires....right?

Team Human is a very fun and enjoyable read! The books I've been reading so far about vampires always picture vampires as gorgeous, insanely handsome and utterly charming or scary characters. But the vampires in this book? Old-fashioned, still gorgeous (I guess?) and also scary sometimes. Despite the fact that I have yet to read Larbalestier's or Brennan's books, their combination of writing in this book is great! One moment it's so funny I laughed so hard and one moment it's serious and quite scary, but nothing too serious! The idea that vampires can't laugh makes me laugh! The ending of the book pleases me and I love how it wraps up the whole book!

Characters:
Mel is ABC (no, she's not alphabet letters, she's American-Born-Chinese) and she rocks! Reading the book from her perspective was hilarious and funny! I love how she is very protective of her best friends and the way she is (sort of) against vampires. She is TEAM HUMAN! And her newfound relationship with Kit is sweet and cute. Kit is a human but he lives among vampires so that is definitely strange, but Mel can't help falling for this cute guy who can make her laugh and smile all the time! 

Francis is such an old-fashioned vampire! He speaks in the 18th century way (sort of like Mr. Darcy) and this makes Cathy absolutely enamored by him. I can't blame Cathy but I think she's a bit too enamored by Francis! The characters are all fun and hilarious and I really enjoyed reading about them!

Overall:
Are you Team Vampire.....or Team Human? No matter which team you choose, Team Human will give you a new insight into a world where humans and vampires co-exist together. If you're a human and you want to be a vampire? No worries, get a license and a vampire you will be! The combination of Larbalestier and Brennan's writing creates a fun, hilarious and enjoyable book and I must say, I AM TEAM HUMANPIRE! (That's a very bad combination of the word 'Human' and 'Vampire') 
4 Forget-Me-Not flowers for Team Human!
 Thank you Allen & Unwin for the review copy!

Check out the book trailer!

14 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this, Celine :) Love the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! GO TEAM HUMANPIRE! AHAHA! Oh, Celine, YOUR REVIEW! It made me giggle, and this book sounds like SO MUCH FUN!! I have a copy at home and seriously can't WAIT to get to it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you enjoyed this, Celine. I wasn't a huge fan of this book but it was a nice, quick read. Anyway fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds HILARIOUS! Vampire's can't laugh? Ahh okay I really need to get my hands on this soon haha! And Mel is an ABC! Squeeee! Seriously, that may just be the main reason why I want to read this book so much :P Fantastic review, Celine! <3 Really glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ABC LOL! I love that!! x) One of the main reasons I wanted to read this book (besides the awesome title and premise, of course, because how can you NOT want to root for a team representing our own species??) is that Mel isn't your average heroine. I LOVE that she's snarky and hilarious and protective of her friends. And vampires not being able to laugh makes me burst into giggles too! How silly-awesome-fun! :')

    Amazing review, Celine! Excited to read this ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this one is TOTALLY great for new insight on vampires - what a perfect wa to put it! Mel realy does have a great character, and I adored Kit as well!

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humanpire?! I love that word! :D

    Amazing review, Celine! I bought a copy of this recently and am so glad I did now. It sounds like such a fun read! I think I could do with a laugh. :) I'm glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one too Celine, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Mel had me laughing the entire time, she was definitely a girl with my type of humor:) Her reactions to Cathy and Francis just made me snort, those same things have run through my mind many a time while reading a paranormal YA book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that this story is about Mel! :D Haha. This sounds like an amazing read, so I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I love a good vampire book <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, humanpire is an excellent word! I am so incredibly curious about this book. Sarah Rees Brennan has been getting a lot of attention lately and it's good to know you liked it and that the two authors worked well together.
    Wonderful review as always, Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Humanpire! Too funny! I just got a copy of this and I am looking forward to a funny light read, which I wouldn't hve guessed about this book until I read your review. Now I am looking forward to this even more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit, I've been a little hesitant to pick this one up, but I've read Sarah Rees Brennan in the past and enjoyed her, so I haven't quite made up my mind yet. I might pick it up when I'm more in the mood for a funny read.

    Thanks for sharing your review, Celine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the second glowing review I've heard from this book. I can't wait to read it now! Brilliant review Celine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hehe! Love your review, Celine and I'm so glad you loved this! I really, really enjoyed it and it was just so... FRESH. Fun. I love that it didn't take things too seriously, it could poke fun at itself while ALSO keeping you engaged with a compelling story. Cathy and Francis totally had me facepalming! I grew to accept their relationship at the end, but still :P Buahaha your "HUMANPIRE" is MUCH better than my shocking attempt!! But I think I have to say.... TEAM HUMAN!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...