Monday 9 January 2012

#42 Book Review: Winter's Shadow


Winter's Shadow (Winter Saga #1)
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 432
Release date: June 1st 2011
Author: M.J Hearle
Publisher: PanMacmillan Australia
Source: Won from Author
Format: Paperback
Summary from Goodreads:
Blake Duchamp...

He's all that Winter Adams can think of. Ever since their fateful meeting at Pilgrim's Lament. Ever since he looked at her with those emerald eyes. Ever since he saved her life.

But Blake isn't all that he seems. There is a strangeness about him, something dark and otherworldly. Something dangerous. In his attic is a secret he would kill to defend, but Winter seems to have a special ability to make him forget his duty. And he is her only protection against the gathering darkness.

The only problem is, to protect Winter, Blake must risk exposing her to an even greater danger. Himself.
My review:
Cover:
The cover is stunning. I love the girl's red hair as she hugs the boy and the background is perfect! The woods give the cover a chilling feeling and I love the swirls in the cover. I think it potrays Blake and Winter well!
4 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
The story of this book was completely unique regarding the paranormal theme. Hearle has created this chilly atmosphere in the woods and a mysterious intriguing character called Blake. I could never guess the storyplot and who Blake is. These kinds of book are what made me hooked to each pages. As I kept on reading, I wanted to know more about who Blake was, what his secret is, what's the secret in his attic and what paranormal theme this book is.
Winter had to take pictures of an old church in Pilgrim's Lament. When the building crushed down, Blake rescued Winter and so begins the story of how their lives entwined. Reading this book takes me on a journey to discover Blake's secret and the paranormal theme behind the story. As we read the book, we also get glimpses of the past, about Blake's parents and how he is the way he is now. When I discovered the paranormal theme of the book which was about some sort of demons called the Demori, I really loved it because it was so unique. I never read books with paranormal themes like Winter's Shadow. The ending was very sad. It affected one of the main characters and I feel so sad for them. This makes me dying to read Winter's Light, the sequel because I want to know what happened to the characters after the ending!
Plus, M.J Hearle is an Aussie author! I am so proud for Aussie authors because all Aussie books I've read were all fantastic. I think this book's foreign rights should be sold in different countries so people can also enjoy this book as much as I do!

Characters:
Wow, the characters were written so well. I was able to relate to all of them, particularly Winter and Blake. I am particularly fond of Blake because he was such a mysterious guy who made me want to unravel his secrets and understand who he truly is. He cares for Winter and although he is a Demori, he tries not to act like one. I also love Nefertem, Blake's cat. Nefertem was so cute and adorable. This book was narrated in 2 different points of view, from Blake's and Winter's. I enjoyed reading from both points of view and I'm glad I get to read from Blake's POV because I was really curious about him. I think the characters Hearle has created was wonderful that I can connect to them and put myself in their shoes, trying to understand the life they are going through.

Overall:
A great Aussie YA paranormal read I recommend to everyone! This is a mysterious, chilling book which will make you curious of the story it contains and it is one of the best Aussie books I've ever read! I am so proud of Aussie authors because their books are just so wonderful! 

Favourite quote:
 “Why would you ever choose to die?’
‘Because a life with no end loses meaning. Death defines life.
One day, I hope to find a good reason to die.” 

4 Forget-me-not flowers for Winter's Shadow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...