Sunday 25 December 2011

#37 Book Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight [ARC]
Genre: Young Adult
Pages: 256
Release date: January 2nd 2012
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Source: Owned
Format: Paperback

Summary from Goodreads:
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


My review:


Cover:
UK cover
French cover
I have to admit that the first thing that intrigued me to read this book besides the long title which I made a weird abrreviation of (TSPOLAFS) in Twitter because of the word limit, is the cover itself. It's just so gorgeous. I also love the font of the title and how the word 'love' is spelled bigger than the others. I fell in love with the cover at first sight! (LOL!) The heart circling the couple in the cover is just so romantic.There are also 2 different covers for this book, the UK version and the French version!
5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Which cover do you like best?



Story:
First, I'm dedicating this review to Mary @ Anxirium and Racquel @ TheBookBarbies. I hope you guys are going to love this book as much as I do! 


This book got me worried at first since it's set in 24 hours period. I'm afraid that the pacing would be too quick and that everything will happen so fast that I can't grasp everything that has happened. But whoa, this book is just amazing!! I was never worried about the love at first sight thingy since I do not mind it at all. 24 hours period in this book felt normal. The pacing wasn't quick at all and it's just like reading other books. Sometimes, you won't even realize that it's actually set in 24 hours period!


The story of Hadley & Oliver truly made me believe in true love and love at first sight. Their relationship is very simple, fun and sweet. How they met in the airport, their conversation afterwards in the plane and how they bid each other farewell before going towards their own destination was simply enjoyable to read. This book is written from Hadley's POV and so, we get to learn more about her family, particularly her relationship with her dad, who is soon going to be married to a British woman. As the story goes on, we get to read bits and pieces of Hadley's childhood and also more about Oliver's life and purpose of going to London which I did not expect at all! I needed more of this book! It was quite short (only about 250 pages for ARC edition)

I enjoyed reading every single page of this book besides the fact that there is a guy called Oliver and he's a British guy with a British accent who lives in America! :P


Characters:
The two main characters would be Oliver and Hadley. I love both of them and very much enjoyed reading about them. Hadley was just an average teenager who got angry and sad when she had to attend her father's marriage with another woman. She felt that her father had betrayed her and he was leaving her for good. She had to go to London for the first time and she never even met her father's to-be-wife. Oliver is just so sweet and understanding. Also very funny! Hadley is claustrophobic (the fear of having no escape) and therefore, Oliver tries to distract her by talking about his study in Yale, a bit of his family and jokes. Although these 2 characters firstly met in the airport and probably that was the first time they had the connection, their love also grows as the time they spent together in the plane. But of course, there is not much you can learn from a guy who sits with you for only 7 hours in the plane. I never thought Oliver who was charming, who seemed happy had to do something really sad in London. Hadley struggles to see him again and when she does, I was overjoyed with the fact that she's finding Oliver again. Later on, Oliver also tries to see her again and when he does, they finally got together! I also loved reading about other characters, particularly Hadley's dad. He was sweet and understanding and it is hard to deal with his daughter when he is going to get married with another woman. I completely love the way Smith writes the characters and the story. It's amazing!


Overall:

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight is not just about love. It's about families and childhood too. It reminds you that the bond between your family can never break no matter what happens. It also reminds you that there is true love, waiting for you, somewhere out there. It will find you at times when you're least expecting it. Sometimes, coincidences can mean something and it makes you remember that at bad times, good times will always come. I recommend this book to everyone. I love it a lot! 

5 Forget-me-not flowers for The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight!
Note: I never expected the 'long title' to mean something until the end! ;) 


Please do check out the book trailers before reading the book! They are really cute! 


Hadley's book trailer:

Oliver's book trailer:

Note: I did not imagine Oliver like that but anyway....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...