Saturday 17 December 2011

#33 Book Review: Clockwork Prince

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2)
Genre: Young Adult, Steampunk
Pages: 496
Published: December 6th 2011
Author: Cassandra Clare
Source: Owned

Summary from Goodreads:
The situation at the London Institute has never been more precarious. With Mortmain and his clockwork army still threatening, the Council wants to strip Charlotte of her power and hand the running of the Enclave over to the unscrupulous and power-hungry Benedict Lightwood.

In the hope of saving Charlotte and the Institute, Will, Jem, and Tessa set out to unravel the secrets of Mortmain’s past—and discover unsettling Shadowhunter connections that hold the key not only to the enemy’s motivations, but also to the secret of Tessa’s identity. Tessa, already caught between the affections of Will and Jem, finds herself with another choice to make when she learns how the Shadowhunters helped make her a “monster.” Will she turn from them to her brother, Nate, who has been begging her to join him at Mortmain’s side? Where will her loyalties—and love—lie? Tessa alone can choose to save the Shadowhunters of London…or end them forever.


My review:


Cover:
The cover represents Jem, with his cane and his Victorian attire. Can I just say Jem looks absolutely gorgeous in the cover? I imagined Jem just like the model in the cover. I think the model really represents Jem very well! I absolutely love the cover. The first thing I did when I found the book was hugged it since I have been having troubles getting a copy of the book and when I did, I felt extremely happy that my struggles were over!


5 Forget-me-not flowers for the cover!
Story:
[Reminder: This is a spoilery review of the book] Clockwork Prince continues the story directly from Clockwork Angel, dealing with the Magister. The book explores more characters such as the Lightwoods (Gabriel, Gideon, Benedict) and also the swoon-worthy boys, Will and Jem. In Clockwork Angel, Will said some horrible things to Tessa which made Tessa distance herself from him. She gets closer to Jem as they try to understand the problem going on with the Magister and his automatons. Charlotte deals with a big problem which might cause her to lose her leadership over the Institute and was asked by the Consul to find any clues related to Mortmain in a given time. Will, Jem and Tessa finds out about the Magister's past while dealing with their own feelings. In Clockwork Prince, you will find out about what precisely is going on with Will and his deal with his coldness towards people. This book is very addictive, you can never stop reading because you want to know what happened with the characters and the romance is just so yummy! My heart completely breaks when I found out about Will and his curse. I was very confused as to which boys I'm siding on since Jem is also dying. I felt very sad for both of them but a girl can never choose 2 boys. The romance in this book is just in the right proportion and very romantic. It's not sappy but it tears your heart and make you feel sad for the characters. I usually hate love triangles but Clare writes it very well that I just can't help but really enjoy reading the love triangle in this book. There was no encounter of the Magister directly with the characters of this book, but the problem still goes on and  Nate, Tessa's sister is also back as the evil 'brother'. The story flowed so well and I find myself flushing hard every time there is romance between the characters. What I felt quite annoying was I had forgotten lots of things from Clockwork Angel that when I begin reading this book, I couldn't quite understand how the things connect to Clockwork Angel. Thanks to my blogger friends who helped in Twitter, I finally remembered what happened and this made the book UTTERLY SPECTACULAR! 


Characters:
Choosing the boys is the most difficult choice I cannot imagine myself being faced with like Tessa. Jem and Will are both the complete opposite of each other. They're both so fragile, sad and very sweet at the same time. They treasure and love Tessa with all their heart. Choosing one of them would break the other's heart. That's how I felt. At first, I was completely Team Will but then seeing another side of Jem in this book makes me like him too. The ending though, made me felt so sad. I wanted both of them to be happy at the same time but alas, it's impossible. I really liked Tessa in this book. Even though she felt heart-brokened by Will in the end of Clockwork Angel, she is not like 'stay away from me' the whole time with Will. Will made her open her heart again and although she made her choice in the end, I will understand her for doing that. She loves both boys and I honestly hope that she will be happy with her choice. Clare's characters has always been very enjoyable to read and made me wish they were real. But if you still insist, I must say that Will has always been in my heart since the beginning when I read Clockwork Angel. Yes, I feel sad for Jem and I liked him too but after knowing more about why Will is so cold to others, it made me like him even more. His curse was just so sad and it finally convinced me that I have actually liked Will more than Jem. I understand that Jem’s dying but his ‘blindness’ with his parabatai’s feeling for Tessa made me a little annoyed with him. That includes Tessa too, for being ‘blind’ about Jem’s feelings until the end.



Overall:
Utterly heart-breaking. The ending was just so sad. I stayed up all night to read this book and I am now very dying to read Clockwork Princess though it's going to be out about 2 years (2013) from now. I truly hope that the end of the trilogy would be a happy ending but Clockwork Prince will definitely satisfy readers who have been waiting for so long since Clockwork Angel. Team Will! One of my favourite reads of 2011 with such a gorgeous cover that you'll find yourself hard to believe that you've read this book and even so difficult to let it go. 
5 Forget-me-not flowers for Clockwork Prince!
Check out the awesome trailer too!

And the Masquerade ball trailer!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...