Sunday 2 October 2011

My tenth book review: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Pages: 374
Published: December 14th 2009
Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary from Goodreads:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


My review: 
My last review was about my regret of not founding Divergent by Veronica Roth earlier. Well, this is what's happening with The Hunger Games too. I've seen so many positive reviews about this book and it's a phenomenal success. There's a movie going to be released next year but I still doubt if this book is good or not because at that time, I was really into romance and I wanted to read something with good romance. Alas, when I didn't have anything to read, I grabbed this in the library when it's available and I can't believe how good this book is! The Hunger Games is actually my first YA dystopian book and it's totally AMAZING!

The Hunger Games is the story of Katniss Everdeen, a girl from District 12 who replaced her sister to participate in The Hunger Games as the girl tribute. The country she lives in is called Panem and the government, Capitol is helding The Hunger Games annually to remind the people how they can't stand a chance against the Capitol. The book is mostly about Katniss and her survival in The Hunger Games. This book is so engaging! Suzanne Collins is one of the best dystopian authors ever! She writes this book really well and I can actually feel myself participating in The Hunger Games. Her descriptions of everything happening is so detailed and this book carries strong themes of the world issues and also survival. I just love Katniss. She's one of the greatest book heroines ever! She's so strong-willed and very skillful. Not to mention Peeta. He's so romantic and sweet. He truly loves Katniss and will do anything for her. His story of how he falls in love with Katniss was super duper romantic. I really wish someone would love me the way Peeta do! Not only is this book packed with adventures and exciting things but also romance. Romance is not the main focus of this book but there are some special moments between Katniss and Peeta.I have no complains at all. After returning this book from the library, I immediately bought the whole trilogy and got the UK cover of Peeta Mellark for The Hunger Games!


In my English class, we had to choose a novel for study. I chose The Hunger Games because I knew that this would be a great book to work as an English project and it would definitely be interesting. I had to write essays about this book and I really enjoyed it. It's so good when you have a good book to pick for your English project! 


Overall: If you love dystopian YA books, this one is definitely RECOMMENDED for you guys! This is one of the best dystopian novels out there and you have to read this! It's engaging and powerful. I also can't wait for the movie. This is a must read! 

5 Forget-me-not flowers for The Hunger Games
 Favourite quote: “Because when he sings...even the birds stop to listen.”

Note: There's a movie coming soon next year! Jennnifer Lawrence is Katniss Everdeen, Liam Hemsworth is Gale Hawthorne and Josh Hutcherson is Peeta Mellark. I encourage you to read the book first before the movie comes out because reading the original book is always best!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you got to write an English project on the Hunger Games!! I would love it if we were allowed to write about books like this :( Great review! :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my English class, we had to choose a novel for study. I chose The Hunger Games because I knew that this would be a great book to work as an English project and it would definitely be interesting. I had to write essays about this book and I really enjoyed it. It's so good when you have a good book to pick for your English project! gul ahmed bed sheets sale 2019 , best comforter sets , gul ahmed bed sheets 2018 , nishat bridal bed sets , king size duvet , razai set , sofa cover fabric , velvet blanket

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...